Cyclo cross/gravel/adventure/touring - steel or alloy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Cyclo cross/gravel/adventure/touring - steel or alloy?

Post by reohn2 »

In answer to the OP:-
Steel every time.

Some bikes I'd take a close look at in no particular order are:-
Spa touring range
Kona Sutra as mentioned above.
Salsa Vaya
Genesis Tour de Fer range or Vagabond.
Thorn ClubTour and Sherpa
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just been to a branch of Revolution Cycles. Seem like a nice bunch.
Looked at some Specialized gravel bikes (assuming they are the same as adventure bikes).
Diverge ES at £799 has a Claris groupset which I had never heard of.
Diverge ES Sport at £999 has (I think) Sora.
Both are two front cogs. Difference is 8 or 9 rear cogs.
Ummm...that might be E5 Sport - the labels were hard to read.

Ummm...£800 in Evans at the moment on clearance of 2018 models. I think I was looking at 2019.

All this is making Spa Cycles look very attractive.

3 * 9 suits my old fashioned soul.

The main feature is aluminium frame with carbon forks to give some flexibility.
Bolt through axles so no quick release for a wheel/tyre change.
I'm told that this is to reduce flex at the axle - is this true?
Fitting points for front carrier (I think).
Not obvious how you fit a mudguard to a carbon fork - I assume you use the front carrier fittings?

Hmmm...anyway first reviews aren't that favourable.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

LittleGreyCat wrote:I've searched the forum, but can't seem to get a definitive answer.

That's because there isn't one (if there was, nobody would be making anything else).

For most purposes you can get good frames made out of steel or alloy, and you can get indifferent frames made out of steel or alloy, or you can get poor frames made out of steel or alloy.

Look at (and better still ride) the whole package and don't sweat too much about the getting "wrong" frame material.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The frame is a small part of the weight of the whole bike.
Aluminium and titanium are both less dense than steel, but you have to use more aluminium or titanium than steel to make a durable frame.
Frame material doesn't make a huge difference to the overall weight of the bike.
I think somewhere you mention tha you are putting your bike on the roof of a "tall" car.....wouldn't it be easier to put it inside?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattsccm wrote:Good luck in finding a disc braked bike with a triple chainset. They are few and far between. Fashion has condemned the triple sadly.

The Ridgeback Expedition.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Expe ... gKPGfD_BwE

as praised on here by bretonbikes and on the strength of which I got one, the 2016 one which is V brakes which I personally prefer.

Have ridden mine 140/160 miles not stop.

Gearing is great littlegreycat- you can get up anything carrying pretty much anything.

Sensible MTB components.

It goes as fast as I need to - never spun out yet when I'm carrying stuff.

Good time to get one in a sale as above.

You also sometimes see them second hand with very little use indeed - folks' expedition plans cancelled etc.
Sweep
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

531colin wrote:The frame is a small part of the weight of the whole bike.
Aluminium and titanium are both less dense than steel, but you have to use more aluminium or titanium than steel to make a durable frame.
Frame material doesn't make a huge difference to the overall weight of the bike.
I think somewhere you mention tha you are putting your bike on the roof of a "tall" car.....wouldn't it be easier to put it inside?

When we go caravanning there isn't much room in the boot - certainly not enough for the bike, let alone if I want to take two bikes.
Oh, and the cat rides in the back in her travelling box so another reason not to try and put a bike in as well.
We are not keen on the idea of having to struggle bikes in and out of the caravan on trips. Stop and flop is our general approach.
I also ride out with a group and it can work to share cars between a couple of members so two bikes in the boot generally doesn't work.
The roof rack can take 3 bikes.
All in all it seems the best option at the moment. I have refined my technique and know where the balance points are so getting the bike on and off is becoming easier.

Loads of helpful and useful information and it looks as though a steel touring bike might be the way to go - strong yet flexible frame and no real weight penalty.

I'm going to have one last try at getting my old Galaxy back on the road, then decide if it meets my needs or I could do with something a bit more modern. Looking back, I've had it for nearly 10 years now and it has barely been on the road. How time flies. Every six months or so I get a brief spurt of enthusiasm and post about it on this forum then life derails me.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

LittleGreyCat wrote:The main feature is aluminium frame with carbon forks to give some flexibility.
Not obvious how you fit a mudguard to a carbon fork - I assume you use the front carrier fittings?

The mounting points on a carbon fork are for mudguards only. Carbon forks are not suitable for a front carrier.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Scunnered wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:The main feature is aluminium frame with carbon forks to give some flexibility.

The mounting points on a carbon fork are for mudguards only. Carbon forks are not suitable for a front carrier.

Sonder Camino carbon fork has mounts for a front rack.
levarg

Post by levarg »

I recently created a utility website for finding and comparing gravel/adventure bikes. I think it might help you with your search for a suitable bike.
http://www.gravel-bikes.co.uk

I think you were looking at older Specialized models. My site has the newer ones only. Anyway, it might still be useful.
RickH

Post by RickH »

levarg wrote:I recently created a utility website for finding and comparing gravel/adventure bikes. I think it might help you with your search for a suitable bike.

No Konas?

Edit: or Salsa?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
levarg

Post by levarg »

RickH wrote:
levarg wrote:I recently created a utility website for finding and comparing gravel/adventure bikes. I think it might help you with your search for a suitable bike.

No Konas?

Edit: or Salsa?

Both of those are on my To-Do list. I've been concentrating on the main brands up to now, but will get them done as soon as I can. Cheers
RickH

Post by RickH »

levarg wrote:Both of those are on my To-Do list. I've been concentrating on the main brands up to now, but will get them done as soon as I can. Cheers

Pleased to hear it. :D

Don't forget Shand too. (Jenny Graham recently set a new women's round the world record on a Shand Stoochie) :)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Either steel or alloy can be fine for your use. Aluminium isn't necessarily less comfortable than steel these days. I'd avoid anything that has a single chainring at the front if you're planning on loaded touring- you won't get a very high top gear, a dinner plate sized cassette that is stupid expensive to replace and fairly big steps between gears. I've done the Dunwich Dynamo on an old rigid 26", it was fine. If you want higher gears you could fit a 28/38/48 mountain chain set to your mountain bike.