Schwalbe Marathon Vs Marathon Plus tyres.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Psamathe

Re: Schwalbe Marathon Vs Marathon Plus tyres.

Postby Psamathe » 20 Oct 2018, 6:31pm

Vetus Ossa wrote:
bikes4two wrote:Whether M or M+, it's pretty likely that a puncture will happen sometime. I've not used the M but did use the M+ which were horribly tight on my wheels and as such I genuinely feared getting a road-side puncture and NOT being either get the tyre off in the first instance or not being able to get it back on again without levers and the risk of pinching/puncturing the tube in doing so.

This fear was hightened at the prospect of a puncture on a cold, wet, winter's day

My solution to this was to give away 2 pairs of M+ and fitted something else, not with the same puncture resistance but something I could actually change on the side of the road and not get hypothermia.

Hmmm, and what did you use then?

As I said before my M+s come off and on without problems (and I’m no expert).

Ian

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 20 Oct 2018, 6:34pm

Psamathe wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:
bikes4two wrote:Whether M or M+, it's pretty likely that a puncture will happen sometime. I've not used the M but did use the M+ which were horribly tight on my wheels and as such I genuinely feared getting a road-side puncture and NOT being either get the tyre off in the first instance or not being able to get it back on again without levers and the risk of pinching/puncturing the tube in doing so.

This fear was hightened at the prospect of a puncture on a cold, wet, winter's day

My solution to this was to give away 2 pairs of M+ and fitted something else, not with the same puncture resistance but something I could actually change on the side of the road and not get hypothermia.

Hmmm, and what did you use then?

As I said before my M+s come off and on without problems (and I’m no expert).

Ian

I didn’t have too much trouble removing my marathon, fitting it was a different kettle of fish.
I guess rims vary a bit.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Oct 2018, 7:09pm

could you change the wheel with the bike on its side? Is much of the weight luggage? If so could that be removed in the event of a puncture?

No tyre is completely puncture proof; it is as well to have a workable contingency plan.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vetus Ossa

Postby Vetus Ossa » 20 Oct 2018, 7:23pm

Yes, I do take the point that no tyre is completely puncture proof, and sooner or later it will happen.
So do I fit (probably) the most puncture proof tyre out there, the marathon plus which is difficult to fit, especially on the trail, or a less puncture proof tyre that is easier to fit, and if so, which one?