Storing bike bags in box outdoors

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jeatsy

Storing bike bags in box outdoors

Post by jeatsy »

I'm short of storage space indoors and am considering buying a lockable outdoor storage box, perhaps like this one:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7527184

One of the main things I'd like to store in it is my bike bags. My collection comprises 4 Ortlieb panniers (in the standard "Classic" material), one Carradry pannier, one canvas Altura bar bag, and one cotton duck saddlebag (the Spa Canvasman). I'd also like to store a tent, a couple of sleeping bags, and a couple of ordinary rucksacks (both Osprey-branded).

I've never stored anything outdoors before and I'm a bit concerned it'll suffer due to the changes in temperature and humidity. Could anyone perhaps advise if this is likely to happen, and if there's anything I can do to mitigate it? I don't mind if I need to enter the box every few days.
tatanab

Re: Storing bike bags in box outdoors

Post by tatanab »

They will grow mouldy if not used or aired regularly. Just on a saddlebag I would not mind because it will brush off, but over several items I would keep them indoors, on top of a wardrobe or under a bed for example, perhaps inside a suitcase which is being stored.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I would not store any camping gear outside, in this damp country. Especially, not in the ventilation-constricted, interior of a plastic box.

Once the mildew & mould get a grip, the precious-camping-thing is a gonner.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

if our mower is anything to go ...dont get one..The contents sweat with changes in temperature ....Our mower is goosed having lived outside for two years in something similar.