Pump-Hub -good idea or just pointless?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Pump-Hub -good idea or just pointless?

Post by Brucey »

Pump-Hub? ...eh?.... :shock: (no, it is not an April fool....)

Basically it is a Phil Wood quality hub with a pump in it, aimed at wheelchair and bicycle users.

there is a write-up here;

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-039/index.html

it even got a mention in the daily mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2123955/Pump-Hub-inflates-bicycle-tyres-ride-shuts-automatically-done.html

in which they didn't accuse it of giving you cancer....

https://www.cultofmac.com/284067/pump-hub/

So you can't buy these any more I think (I found a website pump-hub.com on the wayback machine but it doesn't seem to be live any more) so the market may have spoken. .

But was it a daft idea or did it have merit? It seemed expensive and complicated by comparison with a pump that you carry. Normal hubs go wrong too; I can't think that this would, erm, improve the chances of the hub going wrong. I don't know if the idea was that you always had this connected to the tyre or what, but in the event of a real flat tyre, it might be pretty useless; it takes a mile or two of riding to fully inflate a soft tyre so with a completely flat tyre you would presumably have fix the puncture and then sit twirling the wheel round long enough to get some air into the tyre before riding to complete the inflation process. A mile and a half on a 700C wheel is about 1000 turns of the wheel; you would have to manage a good fraction of that to get the tyre up to pressure.

You would need two pump-hubs to be able cope with tyre deflation in either tyre. The rate at which air is added is not high enough to cope with anything more than a slow puncture whilst you are riding and not long after you stop riding a tyre with a slow-ish puncture goes completely flat and you are stuck.

If the hoses are not connected to the valves then you have to remember to carry them (just like a pump) and if not fitted, there is a hole in the hub through which crud will get in, potentially wrecking the innards of the pump. If you leave the bike parked with the hoses connected, some light fingered blighter will probably pinch them.

One reason for wanting a pump hub might be if you can't easily get the wheel out to fix a puncture. So IGHs and hub brakes for example. Yet the hubs offered were QR ones for derailleur gears etc , which are easy to remove. An add-on pump that mounts to an extant hub might have been a viable option but one such was not offered. I guess there are a few people who genuinely can't use any other kind of pump but these are few and far between. If you are likely to get slow punctures then this invention is only of much use if you ride your bike every day; otherwise you will come to your bike after two or three days and it will have two flat tyres.

The bicycle is at heart a very simple machine; there are any number of ways of making it more expensive, more complicated, and less versatile. This is another of them.

BTW it is easy to combine things and come up with 'a new invention' that might make sense to some folk; for example anyone who needs a dishwasher also needs a toilet; so you could 'invent' the 'dishwasher-toilet' (an integrated plumbing installation, with optional bidet facility).....why has no one thought of this before.....??.... :roll: :wink: and so forth.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandriver

Re: Pump-Hub -good idea or just pointless?

Post by iandriver »

I've often thought the pumps dahon build into the seat post are sheer genius. Perhaps a suspension type seat post that charges something like a co2 inflator might be of more use. Looks like a great solution to a problem most people haven't got again....
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pointless from a perspective of cost,being limited to one bike and whaddabout the front wheel or do you have one in each hub? :?
And less attractive when pumps,even quite good quality ones are cheap and transferable from bike to bike.
Yep definitely a solution looking for a problem,or at the very least an extremely limited application
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

If I recall there was an auto tyre inflator which screwed into a presta valve and was designed to inflate your tyre as the wheel rotated. It comprises an adjustable spring and a ball. It was widely advertised in the comic back in the late 60' early 70' . I don't know anyone who had one and they weren't well received, not even sure if they worked at all. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

rjb wrote:If I recall there was an auto tyre inflator which screwed into a presta valve and was designed to inflate your tyre as the wheel rotated. It comprises an adjustable spring and a ball. It was widely advertised in the comic back in the late 60' early 70' . I don't know anyone who had one and they weren't well received, not even sure if they worked at all. :roll:

There was a design for such a contraption in a magazine of my Father's - "practical mechanics" I think, (circa 1955)
The designer hadn't thought of centrifugal force or the effect of the tyre pressure the weight of the ball had to overcome.
It probably wouldn't satisfy the trade descriptions act if sold today.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

reohn2 wrote:Pointless from a perspective of cost,being limited to one bike and whaddabout the front wheel or do you have one in each hub? :?

as per the description yes you really need one front and rear.

ANTONISH wrote:
rjb wrote:If I recall there was an auto tyre inflator which screwed into a presta valve and was designed to inflate your tyre as the wheel rotated. It comprises an adjustable spring and a ball. It was widely advertised in the comic back in the late 60' early 70' . I don't know anyone who had one and they weren't well received, not even sure if they worked at all. :roll:

There was a design for such a contraption in a magazine of my Father's - "practical mechanics" I think, (circa 1955)
The designer hadn't thought of centrifugal force or the effect of the tyre pressure the weight of the ball had to overcome.

any further details? This kind of ephemera is always interesting to see.

cheers
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Does it allow one to dynamically & while riding adjust the tyre pressure to suit road conditions? My back country tourer (40mm tyres) might appreciate that...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can inflate the tyres as you go, and the pump is turned on and off via a simple control. However I don't know how exactly the pressure is set and I suspect that the controls are on the part of the pump that rotates; handy for getting air into the valve as you go, not so good for adjustments on the move.

cheers
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Pointless from a perspective of cost,being limited to one bike and whaddabout the front wheel or do you have one in each hub? :?

as per the description yes you really need one front and rear.

ANTONISH wrote:

any further details? This kind of ephemera is always interesting to see.

cheers

I regret that I haven't that article in my possession - I've just looked through a pile of ancient subscription encyclopedia copies and unearthed one of the magazines - it was actually " Home Mechanics" - nothing of cycling interest apart from using the bottom bracket and tubes from an old bicycle to make a bench grinder.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Be a good gimmick for a car, "Auto inflating tyres" especially if it injected tyre sealant as well. :wink:
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

The article in question is in the VCC library. The library is open to all with certain restrictions, search for pumps and you will find it. The file is a locked PDF and I can't copy it.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this one?

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/ncl/pics/Automatic%20tyre%20pump%201946%20(V-CC%20Library).pdf

it seems to be a sort of cam-operated reciprocating pump. I can only suppose it would throw the wheel massively out of balance.... :shock:

cheers
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Ride fast enough and a normal puncture becomes a thing of the past!
A big flatulent one requires steady speeds of 30mph and above. :shock:
I think I'll stick with my Mountain Morph.