What computer do you recommend?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bez

Re: What computer do you recommend?

Postby Bez » 23 Oct 2018, 8:54am

Yup, the Wahoo screen is way clearer in daylight and the battery life is good.

If you have to divert from your planned route, though, you get something like this (apologies for the reflections).

See if you can figure out how to get back onto the route from that display ;)

robing wrote:What I found really useful about the Bolt was the flexibility to change my destination to say a BnB or campsite - search for it on the phone and then send the route to unit.

Or, on a number of Garmin devices, you could do that directly on the device. Then you wouldn't have to fish your phone out from wherever it is, shelter it from rain, take your gloves off, or rely on a data signal. Granted, there are plenty of occasions when doing it on the phone is fine. But there are some when it's more of a problem.

robing

Postby robing » 23 Oct 2018, 12:59pm

Bez wrote:Yup, the Wahoo screen is way clearer in daylight and the battery life is good.

If you have to divert from your planned route, though, you get something like this (apologies for the reflections).

robing wrote:What I found really useful about the Bolt was the flexibility to change my destination to say a BnB or campsite - search for it on the phone and then send the route to unit.

Or, on a number of Garmin devices, you could do that directly on the device. Then you wouldn't have to fish your phone out from wherever it is, shelter it from rain, take your gloves off, or rely on a data signal. Granted, there are plenty of occasions when doing it on the phone is fine. But there are some when it's more of a problem.

And how much would these Garmins cost that were capable of doing that? Don't forget the Bolt is only £200. The equivalent Garmin I tried, the 820 Explore Touring - and was £30 more was awful. It had a terrible touch screen - which has had universal bad reviews online - I tried using it to search for a POI and it was so clunky and slow. The whole thing had the feel of a palm pilot from the 90s! Contrast that to the speed and ease of use of the Wahoo and there was no comparison.

As I said I have done several long distance tours using the Wahoo with the excellent Komoot app and have had none of the navigation problems you describe. Looking at your photo - you would need to zoom in a bit more and then you could see the route? If it was a major diversion then just use your phone to navigate a new route and send it to the device. I never had to do this on any of my tours.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 23 Oct 2018, 1:09pm

Bez wrote:Yup, the Wahoo screen is way clearer in daylight and the battery life is good.

One irritation I found with the Wahoo was that it is not very good at maintaining the track line (i.e. the line you have cycled as opposed to the "route{ still to be ridden). On a couple of occasions I headed off all over the place to find a supermarket thinking all I'd do was follow my track line back again. But for the return (without having stopped/started/ended anything) the Wahoo just didn't draw the track line so I could not follow it back.

Photos of screens do not always reflect real world clarity, particularly when the devices are held at different angles. Plus there can be a "polarising effect" (e.g. excellent clarity screens suddenly become really difficult when viewed through polarising sunglasses). Comparing my Garmin to my (ex) Wahoo and I'd say the Garmin was clearer. But as already said, there is more than one model of Garmin.

Ian

Bez

Postby Bez » 23 Oct 2018, 1:23pm

robing wrote:And how much would these Garmins cost that were capable of doing that? Don't forget the Bolt is only £200.

Well, I got my Edge Explore from Halfords for £198. So for the price of a Bolt I get phone-free route calculation and a coffee :)

robing wrote:The equivalent Garmin I tried, the 820 Explore Touring - and was £30 more was awful. It had a terrible touch screen - which has had universal bad reviews online - I tried using it to search for a POI and it was so clunky and slow. The whole thing had the feel of a palm pilot from the 90s! Contrast that to the speed and ease of use of the Wahoo and there was no comparison.

Yeah, the 820 Explore hasn't generally had great reviews by any means. Not Garmin's finest hour. (And don't get me wrong, I'm not really a fan of Garmin devices: they've driven me round the bend in various ways over the last 15 years or so. Hence I was pretty enthusiastic about buying a Wahoo… but, despite beating Garmin on a lot of fronts, it just turned out to suffer a few weaknesses I couldn't live with, and Wahoo haven't fixed them.)

robing wrote:Looking at your photo - you would need to zoom in a bit more and then you could see the route?

Nope. Guess again :)

robing wrote:If it was a major diversion then just use your phone to navigate a new route and send it to the device. I never had to do this on any of my tours.

Yeah, but: a) all the previous caveats about having to stop and faff about with a phone and, if it's raining, really quite problematic; b) the app doesn't give you any choice about route: when I tried using it I wasn't convinced it was picking great roads; c) if you want to divert again, you have to stop again, fish the phone out…

Whereas with a Garmin you can choose one of two things: either a) zoom out a bit, still see plenty of detail, and freestyle your own detour while still seeing where you are in relation to your route and any roads leading back to it, or b) have it on prompted/auto rerouting, whereby if you go off course it'll give you directions from wherever you are to get back on track, either automatically or with a single tap. No need to even stop pedalling, let alone find a signal or try to use a phone in the rain.

You must have been lucky on tour: the first two rides I did with the Wahoo I ended up having to divert around multiple roads that turned out to be either closed, unsurfaced or private :)

Glyno

Postby Glyno » 23 Oct 2018, 1:44pm

Paulatic wrote:Don’t rule out a Lezyne. Great battery life , easy to read even with my poor eyesight. Will automatically sync to Strava at end of ride. Gives you Strava live segments too if you’re into that sort of thing.

I'm probably not the best to give advise on which computer is best as I've only used one - the Lezyne Macro. I find it excellent, it's very easy to use, and syncs well with the phone app. However, for planning routes I find something such as Ride with GPS, Map my Ride, etc a lot better than Lezyne's own version. As mentioned above, battery life is brilliant too.

robing

Postby robing » 23 Oct 2018, 2:38pm

Psamathe wrote:

One irritation I found with the Wahoo was that it is not very good at maintaining the track line (i.e. the line you have cycled as opposed to the "route{ still to be ridden). On a couple of occasions I headed off all over the place to find a supermarket thinking all I'd do was follow my track line back again. But for the return (without having stopped/started/ended anything) the Wahoo just didn't draw the track line so I could not follow it back.

Photos of screens do not always reflect real world clarity, particularly when the devices are held at different angles. Plus there can be a "polarising effect" (e.g. excellent clarity screens suddenly become really difficult when viewed through polarising sunglasses). Comparing my Garmin to my (ex) Wahoo and I'd say the Garmin was clearer. But as already said, there is more than one model of Garmin.

Ian

Admittedly Wahoo isn't great if you turn back on yourself, but I haven't found it a problem if you take a small side deviation and then zoom out a bit. The route appears as a solid line much like Bez's photo above and when you get back on it you get the green LEDS and the route chevrons appear again.

Crispin

Postby Crispin » 24 Oct 2018, 3:17pm

I have read and seen so many reviews now my head is spinning.

I have been spoilt I suspect after using my iPhone mounted on a Quadlock mount. That gives you everything of course but it has a big downside, lack of battery life. I addressed this with a powerpack which used to be the solution. Sadly with iOS 12 the battery consumption rate has gone up. I thought the new system was supposed to reduce consumption. Now the powerpack can't keep up and from 100% the phone I'm doing well if I get an hour out of it before it dies if the display is on.

Thus why I am having to consider a separate bike computer. The current bunch do seem archaic in terms of interface and technology and I find myself really discouraged. As I said, I've been spoilt using the iPhone as a bike computer.

scottg

Postby scottg » 24 Oct 2018, 3:31pm

Simple bike computer, unlimited battery life, no batteries to pollute the earth.

3223761637_9c5a025f71_b.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

busb

Postby busb » 24 Oct 2018, 10:31pm

I've just managed to re-pair my Garmin Edge 820 with my iPhone after a recent Garmin update - it took over 10 attempts. There may well be several models from Garmin but all use their rubbish software. I now regularly beat myself up for not buying the Wahoo that may have slightly poorer mapping but is much clearer (mono) display.
The method of pairing Garmins to phones seems to be wilfully complicated. Most bluetooth devices merely need to be in close proximity with both set to pairing mode, My 820 needs the Connect app to to pair but half way through, you have to exit the app, delete the partially paired 820 from the Bluetooth settings then return to the Connect app to complete the pairing! I've been using Bluetooth since the very 1st devices 20 yrs or so ago (Ericsson T39 & accompanying huge headset) & have never encountered such a long-winded procedure.
I've yet to read a bad review of the recent Wahoo models but loads of bad reviews of Garmins. Even getting the 820 to talk to my Mac Mini via USB can take several attempts.

cyclemad

Postby cyclemad » 24 Oct 2018, 10:38pm

not had any issues with my Garmin Edge 1000 Performance......Recent map update got me puzzled as to why I had to install and card but other than that it has performed without fault.. I dont use the wifi, bluetooth when on a ride and that saves a great deal of battery time...It updates itself at home on the wifi very quickly....I pair it to my Tacx Vortex and MacBook Air 2017 without issues and overall very pleased. I have also used it ''on foot'' in Iceland with City Navigator and it was very good at getting me around the City of rekyavik and its myriad of motorways ...

I got a great deal from Ribble Cycles with their discount code that appears from time to Time and saved 30% on RRP....

RickH

Postby RickH » 24 Oct 2018, 10:45pm

busb wrote:I've just managed to re-pair my Garmin Edge 820 with my iPhone after a recent Garmin update - it took over 10 attempts.

From my experience it often takes an Apple product to screw up otherwise working communications unless you are trying to communicate between 2 Apple products! Trying to work things outside the Apple ecosystem is often fraught with problems.

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 24 Oct 2018, 10:49pm

busb wrote:.....
I've yet to read a bad review of the recent Wahoo models but loads of bad reviews of Garmins. Even getting the 820 to talk to my Mac Mini via USB can take several attempts.

They exist - I've written one (with photographic evidence!)..

Ian

Racingt

Postby Racingt » 25 Oct 2018, 7:06pm

Have a Garmin Edge 1000, which I really enjoy using, and it’s predecessor an Edge 800, which is much lower functionality, but wow, the screen definition is way better than the 1000. Battery life on the Edge 1000 is an issue, down to 30% after 6 hours, so I’d need separate power supply for a 12 hour ride.
Have a look at the functions that you need. It may be that you really use all the Edge 1000s functions, if not then why pay for them. It does pretty much everything you could want. I think a later model will even send a text if you fall off, which may be useful if it’s ever needed (and you have a signal).
Uploading to Strava happens fast, usually by the time I have the key in the front door. Occasionally it does not upload a ride, which is upsetting when it’s Alpe dHuez. And it took me longer to fix than to ride up the mountain In the first place. So not all perfect with Garmin, just very good.
By the way, from all the previous comments, if I was buying again, I’d seriously consider the Wahoo.

busb

Postby busb » 25 Oct 2018, 11:17pm

RickH wrote:
busb wrote:I've just managed to re-pair my Garmin Edge 820 with my iPhone after a recent Garmin update - it took over 10 attempts.

From my experience it often takes an Apple product to screw up otherwise working communications unless you are trying to communicate between 2 Apple products! Trying to work things outside the Apple ecosystem is often fraught with problems.

If that was the case, I'd expect to have issues with other devices which is not the case.

busb

Postby busb » 25 Oct 2018, 11:32pm

Psamathe wrote:
busb wrote:.....

They exist - I've written one (with photographic evidence!)..

Ian

Some of the best films, bikes, novels, tyres, bike computers, hotels get trashed in some reviews. I look for trends. If a restaurant in a town I'm visiting gets a majority of poor reviews, I avoid.