What computer do you recommend?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Re: What computer do you recommend?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just to note that I was in Cotswold Outdoor today (passing and thought I would ask about the Garmin Edge Explorer - well, 15% discount) and the guy behind the counter said that Garmin were restricting distribution to Halfords and Evans at the moment. Garmin rep had been in about half an hour earlier.

I don't know how accurate this is, but does anyone know which of the two give the best discounts?
RickH

Post by RickH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Just to note that I was in Cotswold Outdoor today (passing and thought I would ask about the Garmin Edge Explorer - well, 15% discount) and the guy behind the counter said that Garmin were restricting distribution to Halfords and Evans at the moment. Garmin rep had been in about half an hour earlier.

I don't know how accurate this is, but does anyone know which of the two give the best discounts?

You can get 10% off at Halfords (with a monthly code, that you get from the website, unless the store aren't up to speed/don't care). When I bought some Garmin stuff at Cotswold about 6 months ago the guy in the store I was in said they could only do 10% on Garmin anyway. Do Evans give a Cycling UK discount
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Evans always used to give 10% for Cycling UK members (in store but not online). But in light of recent events I’d check whether that’s still the case.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Just to note that I was in Cotswold Outdoor today (passing and thought I would ask about the Garmin Edge Explorer - well, 15% discount) and the guy behind the counter said that Garmin were restricting distribution to Halfords and Evans at the moment. Garmin rep had been in about half an hour earlier.

Phine yiur local store and negotiate. They might not be prepared to but some shops are facing challegging conditions and need people buying stuff. They might feel getting a sale at high discount it better than losing a sale. I spent £100 in a national outdoor shop chain the other day and negotiated at the till and got a 20% discount.

Test them over the phone, but chose your time e.g. ask if they are open to discounting as you could get it cheaper online with better consumer protection .... Busy sat with loads of people around and queues and you’ll get nothing. Chose a quiet time with no other customers around ...

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 5:37pm Garmin Holiday Sale:
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/c/promotio ... EEMEA=true

Jonathan
I saw that yesterday and made me wonder as there has been talk of a Garmin 1040 for some time now and my 1030 has a broken screen (I can still use it with a screen protector fitted to stop glass slithers in my finger it's but not waterproof, not good, etc.). So my 1st thought when I broke it was time to replace, but checking and suspected 1040 so I held back waiting as I can manage OK on day rides. And Garmin selling 1030 Plus reduced made me wonder if they are trying to get rid of stock before release of new product (1040).

(I did consider a repair but Garmin only do a refurbished swap and make no guarantees on what sort of battery life the one you get back will have i.e. you could get back one with a really "tired" battery which would not be great for full day navigation ... so thought need for replace).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is there a convenient list of differences between the 1030 Plus and the 1030? I've seen quoted battery life of 24 h over 20h.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 6:29pm Is there a convenient list of differences between the 1030 Plus and the 1030? I've seen quoted battery life of 24 h over 20h.

Jonathan
Probably but I've not looked for it. Differences I believe are smaller (same sized & resolution screen), no SD card, more memory, faster processor (I think). But double check if you are considering one as those are what I've picked up not what I know. 1040 nobody knows as no leaks (but there apparently normally aren't from Garmin).

Ian