Can't remove TA Crankset.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

Can't remove TA Crankset.

Post by bigjim »

Hi
I've got a TA crankset to remove. Unfortunately it seems to have stripped thread, drive side. The tool will not fully engage. Slips out on one side. So any ideas how to remove it without the tool?
Thanks.
pwa

Re: Can't remove TA Crankset.

Post by pwa »

Bike shops have tools that do that, presumably by pulling from behind the crank around the axle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A two legged puller would shift it.
Alernatively a foot long piece of 2x1 timber with one end on the backside of the crank as as near to the BB as possible,and a sharp whack on the other end from the opposite side of the bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

pwa wrote:Bike shops have tools that do that, presumably by pulling from behind the crank around the axle.

Both local LBS's have shut down. Would have to travel.
scottg

Post by scottg »

You need a pickle fork. (Google needs a Colonial to British translator.)

The luxe version you use two, making a sliding wedge.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/l ... 555664_0_0
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

standard crank extractors use a 22mm thread, TA ones use a 23mm thread and old (pre 1982) stronglight cranksets use a 23.35mm extractor thread.

Stupid question but were you using the correct TA extractor to start with? Might it be possible to use a stronglight extractor to do the job?

If all else fails you can often use four decent-sized flat blade screwdrivers (as opposed wedges, if you see what I mean) to remove the crank. Unlike a pickle fork this can be done without badly marring the parts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Brucey wrote:standard crank extractors use a 22mm thread, TA ones use a 23mm thread and old (pre 1982) stronglight cranksets use a 23.35mm extractor thread.

Stupid question but were you using the correct TA extractor to start with? Might it be possible to use a stronglight extractor to do the job?

If all else fails you can often use four decent-sized flat blade screwdrivers (as opposed wedges, if you see what I mean) to remove the crank. Unlike a pickle fork this can be done without badly marring the parts.

cheers

Thanks Brucey. Yes i have the correct extractors. I think it was pre damaged, but strangely the threaded cover cap screws in fine.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Unior do a tapered crank extractor which I've used successfully on loads of 22mm cranks, and one old Stronglight. Definitely worth a shot
gaz

Post by gaz »

If you don't intend to use it again afterwards just undo the retaining bolt and ride it until it works loose.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21608
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

gaz wrote:If you don't intend to use it again afterwards just undo the retaining bolt and ride it until it works loose.

In my experience that'll be a five minute ride!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

foxyrider wrote:
gaz wrote:If you don't intend to use it again afterwards just undo the retaining bolt and ride it until it works loose.

In my experience that'll be a five minute ride!

I was intending to sell it to fund a Shimano triple. TA chainsets sell at a decent price. if I can get it re threaded.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've done it like this:

1. Remove both crank bolts and non drive side crank.
2. Pack some shims (bits of metal, flat spanners etc.) between drive side crank and cup.
3. Loosen non drive side cup a good few turns.
4. Put a series of large washers or other spacers over the non drive side axle so that they form a spacer from the cup surface to beyond the end of the axle. If you are careful you can use the non driveside crank as art of the spacer pack.
5. Now tighten the non drive side bolt onto the spacers. This will pull the axle through and out of the driveside crank.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's a good idea.
Food for thought. May not work with all BB systems, but a good idea nonetheless.
Thanks.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

with a loose ball bottom bracket you can release a crank that can be made to bear against a cup (with spacers etc) by installing a retaining bolt (with a smaller head than normal, i.e. ground down or with a spacer) so that the head of the bolt bears against the end of the BB spindle and not the crank. This can be walloped (using a hammer and drift) and this will release the crank.

The force is not limited to the tensile strength of the crank retaining bolt. Note also that whatever method is used, tipping a kettle full of boiling water over the crank just before you get serious with it is one of those things that won't do any harm and may do some good.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Mick F wrote:......... May not work with all BB systems, but a good idea nonetheless.

Yes, good point. I did it with a loose ball BB set. It may be a problem with some cartridge units.