Chipped paint

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AndrewLynn

Chipped paint

Postby AndrewLynn » 24 Apr 2008, 11:30pm

Having only bought my new Cheviot (for rather more than I'd originally planned) a month ago I was disappointed to find this http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~morph/chip/IMG_3630.JPG on the right hand chain stay last weekend.

The paint job as a whole looks fantastic but I'm slightly worried about its durability - I've cycled the length and breadth of the country on my 2003 Dawes Disco 301 and never seen anything like this.

What's the best solution for this chip? Paul Hewitt simply suggested using some reasonably matching car touch-up paint and, along those lines, my local Chipsaway franchise have quoted 10ukp+vat to do that. Can I do better?

gilesjuk

Postby gilesjuk » 25 Apr 2008, 10:50am

Having seen Chips Away's work, I would pay the £10. You really can't see where the repair is in almost all cases.

I would then put a chainstay protector over that area to prevent future damage.

dbrunner

Postby dbrunner » 25 Apr 2008, 11:32am

Personally, I'd go to halfords and buy some touch-in paint, they have books full of colour swatches and you'll get 100ml for about £7, enough for quite a bit of touching in.

BTW... I'd spend less time worrying about your paint, and a bit of time cleaning your chain! :roll: :roll:

Dave

lauriematt

Postby lauriematt » 25 Apr 2008, 11:49am

ive read that you can use nail varnish...just to touch up!
which is great for black bikes!!!

but my orange bike was done by the bloke who had it before me...who used red nail varnish...which looks terrible because it doesnt match colours

pete75

Postby pete75 » 25 Apr 2008, 12:41pm

Looks like a very brittle paint job to chip like that. The chips away price seems barely any more than you'd have to pay for touch up paint so has to be the way to go.

One of the Liquid Diamond type car polishes gives good protection to paint finishes.

georgew

Postby georgew » 26 Apr 2008, 10:53am

I think there is an advantage in having a colour that can be matched when using enamel paint.

AndrewLynn

Postby AndrewLynn » 26 Apr 2008, 2:05pm

Getting an exact colour match isn't my main concern here, the chip is on the lower outside of the chainstay and not that visible. So long as whatever is used is a reasonable dark green I'm more concerned with protecting the metal and a decent finish.

WRT the original paint, has anyone heard of problems with the paint on Hewitt's bikes? Have I just been unlucky?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Apr 2008, 2:35pm

I went to a local car paint supply shop and got an exact match(took the bike with me),a small pot with brush inside the lid,for £3!!!!

Paul Smith SRCC

Re: Chipped paint

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 26 Apr 2008, 7:08pm

‘Bow pens’ or ‘Ruling pens’ are good for filling in paint chips like that

Most small volume builders will use enamel, if done well it can indeed "look fantastic", but often enamel is prone to chips, so a ‘Bow pen’ or ‘Ruling pen’ is a good investment. Personally I definitely wouldn't spend money getting some one to do it for you, those pens are not that much, neither is a tin/bottle of paint, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results. In comparison mass production frames often have a less luxurious finish but can be harder wearing.

You have an Audax bike, seldom do they live a precious lifestyle so chips go with the territory, in the end it can be a bit like comparing scars with your friends, “I got that top tube one in the Alps and that one of the chain stay in Corsica”, almost a badge of honour! Some people collect momentos from holidays, I see an enamel chip as that. Take your time filling the scatch and it will be still be durable, all be it a little battle scared!

For sure you have a new bike and the first chip is often a lip quivering moment, especially a chip with no story that just appear like yours, at least you didn't do it having a gormless moment as then it will remind you of that instead, those long top tube ones where the parked bike slides down a lamp post just out of reach being one of the worst, when all you can do is sit their and watch slowly sliiiiiiiiiiding!

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk