Tektro RX-3 Mini V and Shimano EF60 Levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brian73

Tektro RX-3 Mini V and Shimano EF60 Levers

Post by Brian73 »

Hi People.

I recently acquired a Pinnacle Borealis (Evans Cycles own brand) hybrid.

It is fitted with Tektro RX-3 mini V brakes.

The shift lever, brake lever combos are Shimano ST EF60. These are the selectable type lever with a small red plastic insert to adjust the pull between canti or V. They are currently set to V, but I assume this is wrong because Mini V brakes are supposed to have the same MA as cantis.

There is no modulation on the brakes, so I'm surprised the bike left the shop like this. It would be tricky to ride, especially in the wet.
Brucey

Re: Tektro RX-3 Mini V and Shimano EF60 Levers

Post by Brucey »

mini Vs have an MA that is quite close to full Vs (~3.5:1 vs ~4:1). Cantis (depending on the design) can have an MA that ranges from ~1:1 (think SP brakes from the 70s) to an MA that is similar to a MIni V.

You may well find that the brakes are still no good on the other lever setting, but this time they are too mushy and the levers threaten to come back to the bar.

Note that the boss height on the frame/fork can make a big difference too. I have one frame where I can use full Vs with levers that have a short cable pull that is meant for first generation DP brakes. This is really unusual though.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Re: Tektro RX-3 Mini V and Shimano EF60 Levers

Post by PH »

The manufacturer Tektro pairs their mini Vs with their V brake lever, but I can't think why anyone would use them like that, if you've got levers that operate full size Vs what's the advantage of minis?
Unless you have a reason not to, I'd swap them for full size, they're not expensive new but if you want s/h put an advert on here, it might prompt me to have a rummage in my dusty parts box.