Lower gearing for a Peugeot Pulse (c2000)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nic302

Lower gearing for a Peugeot Pulse (c2000)

Post by Nic302 »

Recently acquired. Stored in Ireland to use there when travelling over by air. As far as I can determine, this is probably a year 2000 bike (Not in '98,99 catalogues and 2001 came with Campag gear train and different colourway. Haven't been able to trace English 2000 catalogue to confirm).

Originally equipped with Sora 8 speed groupset (T 13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24), but double chain rings (at least the outer) and cranks are now Shimano105 (T 39-52). Shifters are Sora - the left hand one seems to suggest that it could be used with triple chain ring & the yr 2000 German catalogue (https://tinyurl.com/PUL-43A) suggests it was sold there at least as a triple.

Frame stamps are QDC096 & KT0040506

The gearing doesn't suit me (oh, those hills!!), so the fundamental question is whether to go for a wider range cassette (I am assuming that it is cassette and not freewheel? - can anyone confirm?). If so, what is the maximum range I should consider? - there seems to be a large number of options including as much as 11-34, but I suspect that this could be difficult to set up?
Or might I possibly be better installing a triple on the front? - & how difficult would that be?

Any advice welcome (and for other potential upgrades too)- I'm a newbie, so sorry if I am asking basic questions.
Jamesh

Re: Lower gearing for a Peugeot Pulse (c2000)

Post by Jamesh »

Changing the cassette for a wider spread say 32 or 34 would be easiest. Depending on whether you have long cage rear mech available. If not you can buy one for £10.

Cheers James
Nic302

Post by Nic302 »

Thanks for the advice. A long cage would certainly accomodate 11-32 [11-34 is theoretically outside the available max range when taking into account my current chain rings (39-52)]. A bit more research throws up some conflicting info about the capacity of the medium cage (I have seen maximum sizes quoted as both 27 & 34 for road bikes). Suspect that the 11-34 could be a bit clunky. Will probably go for 12-32 with Long cage unless I can get confirmation that the Medium cage does indeed have a max sprocket of 34.
Thanks again for the advice
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

I've got a slightly older Peugeot what was a 12 speed racer made in 1984.

I successfully fitted an MTB gear / chainset to it last year which comprises of a very low geared triple up front and an 11-34 (8 speed) at the back. I also fitted MTB derailleurs to suit and needed to swap out the bottom bracket for the new (middle cog on the triple) chainline.

It all works very well with the original Sachs Huret downtube friction shifters!

I think a triple up front gives more options but that depends on what your shifters are and if they can cope.
Nic302

Post by Nic302 »

Be interested to know what size of chain rings you wound up with - as I said, the left hand shifter on my bike says 'Sora Triple' even though it is only a double. The shifters are not what I normally associate with Shimano (though they undoubtedly are) - the action is very similar to that of the Campagnolo shifters on my Genesis