Mudguards

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gbnz

Re: Mudguards

Post by gbnz »

reohn2 wrote:Rattles should be traceable and able to be solved quite easily.

Thanks to all and I'd agree with the above :wink:

I think it's fair to say that in the 9-10 days I've had them, I've spent more time trying to resolve mudguard issues than over the last ten years. It's quite probable that I'm accustomed to a higer standard than offered by SKS Bluemels and thus fairly pedantic when rattles become an issue.

There're no obvious causes of the issue; the frame's 3.5 yr's old (Spa Tourer), 4 mudguard stays are fitted, everything has been adjusted/refitted on several occasions. And while the rear wheel is distorted out of shape (A poorly put together, handmade wheel, based on a Sputnik Rim the only handmade wheel I've ever bought from........), the front wheel is perfectly in shape despite four years heavy use (Nb. Despite being an emergency built wheel, c/w a new rim but half the spokes being the wrong size and hub being heavily used - when building it the night before catching the train in 2014, I was seriously concerned it might not last two weeks use over in France :( ) (Nb. The new mudguard is fitted to the front).

The issue appears to be the mudguards themselves, which are built to a flimsy standard and thus bend/distort on every pothole
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Brucey wrote:
gbnz wrote:
Thanks, the problem with the Bluemels is that they're so flexible there's not a great deal they won't bang into at some stage....

This might sounds like a mad thing to ask but is your frame straight?

- lopsided weighting (eg one pannier or rider sitting to one side)
- wheels incorrectly dished
s

Thanks, both the above would apply.

I always ride with one pannier and the rear wheel has been in need of stripping down/re-building properly for the last year. It's distorted slightly in both planes (I.e. Laterally /Vertically) and I've been meaning to dismantle it/build correctly for several months (Nb. Hadn't got around to it, as the bike still works)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Though I can remember years ago on an Audax type bike I owned with about 10 to12mm clearance and 28mm tyres with 35mm SKS guards,riding on muddy lane when so much mud was picked up between guard and tyre the front wheel almost locked up.I had take out both wheels and clean the mudguards out with grass folded in a loop it as so sticky.
Nowadays with type of riding I do,I prefer to see daylight between guard and tyre when viewed from the side if I can get it.

But it boils down to the need of a purpose made frame, one that has appropriate clearance under the folk crown, and enough toe clearance for your feet, and on the rear seat stays a bridge that is attached high enough to avoid the pinch point [where the calliper brake pivot bolt goes if one doesn't have disc brakes]. Road frames like that tend to be rare these days...

I'm well aware of the need for appropriate clearances especially in winter when roads tend to be more mucky and muddy than at other times.
If people insist on caliper brakes then a rethink is needed on the type of caliper,or alternatively V's,and better still discs :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gbnz wrote:...............The issue appears to be the mudguards themselves, which are built to a flimsy standard and thus bend/distort on every pothole

I'm just back from a ride on my new Vagabond,I built it up in October initially without m/guards and fitted a pair of 53mm Bluemels in late November,I ride this bike mostly off road on some pretty rough tracks and trails,the m/guards never rattle,I also have a Salsa Vaya with similar sized Bluemels m/guards that never rattle,and a Genesis Longitude MTB fitted with 65mm Bluemels that don't rattle.So I can't agree it's the m/guards but most likely the fitting.
Plus your rear wheel not being true won't help,depending on how out of true it is,it's no more than half an hour with a spoke key to get it spot on.
Another point,are you sure the rivets on the fittings aren't loose?
Last edited by reohn2 on 9 Jan 2019, 9:04am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

If your mudguards have Secuclips, I have noticed that the stays can become a looser fit in the Secuclip and start to make noises. It's something which is easily fixed by pulling the stays apart close to where they enter the Secuclip. Rather than doing this with the stay in the Secuclip, I pull the stay out of the Secuclip first by grasping and squeezing the stays together and pulling at the same time, and then pull the stays apart, before pushing them back into the Secuclip.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

slowster wrote:If your mudguards have Secuclips, I have noticed that the stays can become a looser fit in the Secuclip and start to make noises. It's something which is easily fixed by pulling the stays apart close to where they enter the Secuclip. Rather than doing this with the stay in the Secuclip, I pull the stay out of the Secuclip first by grasping and squeezing the stays together and pulling at the same time, and then pull the stays apart, before pushing them back into the Secuclip.

Bluemels have a different type of security clip than the standard SKS type,it's an all plastic affair you can see the difference in the photos in this link:- https://www.sks-germany.com/inhalte/upl ... treben.jpg
W H Auden