Made to measure cycling shoes - anyone?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Made to measure cycling shoes - anyone?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I have very broad feet.
So broad that there is only one brand of trainer that fits me - New Balance 4E width fitting.
Needless to say off the shelf cycling shoes don't fit.

A few years back there were some cycling shoes (can't remember the brand) where they would make them to measure but it cost over £200.

Searching today, I can't find a link.

So, does anyone have made to measure cycling shoes?
My searches are returning "custom" shoes which seem to be fancy colours and paint jobs, plus offers to find the right shoe to fit.

Supplementary question, of course, is how much value you get out of cycling shoes and cleats? Compared, say, to toe clips or toe straps?
scottg

Re: Made to measure cycling shoes - anyone?

Post by scottg »

They have a custom option.

https://www.bontcycling.com/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
julianm

Post by julianm »

I'm a New Balance 4Eer as well! Blooming feet have got even wider with age! In 13 as well.
I manage well with Sidi 'Mega' versions for road or MTB - I`ve been lucky to pick them up 2nd hand but as new from Ebay. You might get them on offer from routine stockists.
pq

Post by pq »

I have relatively normal feet but I was getting foot pain a few years back. I solved it by (amongst other things) buying some carbon soled shoes which have to be fitted. They heat them up in a microwave, then mould the soles around your feet. It wasn't cheap but the fit is perfect.
One link to your website is enough. G
slowster

Post by slowster »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Supplementary question, of course, is how much value you get out of cycling shoes and cleats? Compared, say, to toe clips or toe straps?

I suspect that given the limited availability of suitable shoes, it might well be that the decision whether to use cleats/clipless or toeclips/straps will be decided for you by whatever shoe you can find that fits and is comfortable.

IMO for touring, as opposed to racing (or pretend racing, i.e. sportives), both types of shoe/pedal system are adequate, and each has its advantages and disadvantages:

Clipless:
- The shoes are obviously designed for cycling, and should therefore have a stiff enough sole, are often relatively quick drying etc.
- Many cycling shoes can be uprated for winter use by wearing neoprene overshoes (for which there would likely not be enough room with toeclips). However, those overshoes generally are designed for racing shoes with the type of three bolt cleat that protrudes from the sole, which are less suitable for touring than the two bolt cleat used on MTB shoes where the cleat is recessed in the sole, making walking easier. Overshoes don't last as long when used with MTB soles, i.e. they become something of a consumable.
- Much wider choice of pedals and shoes (albeit much less so for wide fitting), and better quality pedals in particular at the lower price points, especially Shimano's cheapest SPD pedals which are very good value.

Toeclips and Straps:
- Traditional metal toeclips have a low profile which is only likely to provide enough room to use a traditional cycling shoe, like the Reynolds models linked to above. Even if you can get such a shoe in your fitting, if you find that in winter they are just not warm enough even with good wool socks, then you may find that cold weather rides are very unpleasant. It used to be that many traditional cycle shoe manufacturers would have a winter boot in their range, which would be fleecy lined and still be compatible with toeclips, but they are no longer available.
- The alternatives to traditional metal toeclips are half toeclips and Zefal plastic full toeclips, which allow you to use almost any shoe, even a lightweight walking boot which will be warmer in winter. I suspect you would find it easier to buy non-cycling specific shoes in your width that could be used with Zefal toeclips than cycling specific shoes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-half-toe-clips-45/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-toe-clips-43-515xl-set/

The toeclips need to be used with a cage or (toeclip compatible) platform pedal, and a search of the forum will throw up various threads discussing and recommending various models, mostly of the MKS brand, e.g. MKS Sylvan Touring (which might suit you being a very wide pedal). Because the cage pedal supports the shoe on the thin cage, the shoes do need a reasonably stiff sole, e.g. I use walking sandals but I would not use soft soled trainers.
Tao

Post by Tao »

:!: :!: :!: :!:
Last edited by Tao on 26 Dec 2020, 10:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Tao wrote:William Lennon cycling shoes are advertised as wide-fitting. I don't have a pair myself but can vouch for the quality of their work boots.

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/shop/heritage-footwear/arturo-cycle-shoe/

Thanks for the pointer.

I would have to visit as I have no idea if they would fit, and an 8-10 week lead time is quite long!
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

yes, I've always wondered why throughout history it's rare to see foot shaped shoes. Pointy seems to be the norm and the toes will just have to squash and tuck under.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

I'm another one with 4E width fitting (New Balance or Asics). I'm very happy with Sidi Megas. The sizing is a bit strange so although I take a 45 normally I have a 46.5 in Sidi. I think the half sizes are even wider so that helps also. definitely worth trying.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
Tao wrote:William Lennon cycling shoes are advertised as wide-fitting. I don't have a pair myself but can vouch for the quality of their work boots.

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/shop/heritage-footwear/arturo-cycle-shoe/

Thanks for the pointer.

I would have to visit as I have no idea if they would fit, and an 8-10 week lead time is quite long!

Lots of William Lennon's products are made to order, so the lead time comes with the territory. I've a pair of their cycling shoes, albeit slightly modified (holes punched in the uppers, leather soles rather than plastic), and despite their slimmish profile they fit my wide feet ok; being leather the uppers will of course eventually stretch to your feet. If you want to check fits you can use their sophisticated high-tech system: draw round your feet on a piece of paper and send that in to them; Libs in the office will then work out which size would suit you. I think you may be able to fit SPD cleats to their standard cycling sole, but I'm not sure.
pwa

Post by pwa »

fausto99 wrote:yes, I've always wondered why throughout history it's rare to see foot shaped shoes. Pointy seems to be the norm and the toes will just have to squash and tuck under.

I found that with Shimano shoes I ended up with something much longer than I got if I went for Specialized instead. The Spesh shoes (at least when I was buying) seemed more foot shaped, less pointy. Less wasted space.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

pwa wrote:I found that with Shimano shoes I ended up with something much longer than I got if I went for Specialized instead. The Spesh shoes (at least when I was buying) seemed more foot shaped, less pointy. Less wasted space.

Good to know when buying mail order. No LBS here and even the nearest ones don't stock ranges of shoes.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Just come back to this because I suddenly realised I will be in the Peak District in February so have a chance to visit the shop.

Also noting that I now have a set of pedals with plastic toe clips but my trainers don't fully fit in because the toe is so tall. I'm happy to ride for the moment with the clips underneath but it would be nice to try with my feet in the toe clips.

As for the suggestion of walking shoes, I think if the trainers won't fit then my various boots won't either but I must remember to try them out.
slowster

Post by slowster »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Also noting that I now have a set of pedals with plastic toe clips but my trainers don't fully fit in because the toe is so tall. I'm happy to ride for the moment with the clips underneath but it would be nice to try with my feet in the toe clips.

As for the suggestion of walking shoes, I think if the trainers won't fit then my various boots won't either but I must remember to try them out.

I use the full Zefal plastic toe clip with an old pair of Brasher Supalite fabric walking boots and have no problem getting my feet in the toe clips.

I assume that you have the System Ex Delta half toe clips which Spa list on their website (https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s168p2280/SYSTEM-EX-Delta-Strapless-Toe-Clips). I might be wrong, but judging by the photographs of the toe clips it looks to me like they have quite a lower profile than the Zefal version (https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Half-Toe-Clips-45_69850.htm). I would strongly recommend you get a pair of the Zefal version to try, given that they do not cost very much.