Pashley rear brake cable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Lankystring

Pashley rear brake cable

Post by Lankystring »

I have a Pashley Brittania, the rear brake cable snapped recently (no idea what happened!) I have a replacement cable, but can’t figure out how to fit it on the rear hub.
I don’t know if there is a part missing?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
tatanab

Re: Pashley rear brake cable

Post by tatanab »

The torque arm from the brake should be fixed in that slotted rectangular bracket. The torque arm is the black bracket now at the rear of the bike. The black lever that is now pointing upright is the brake actuation lever to which your cable should attach. This lever should hang down more or less vertically at the rear of the bike. As far as I can tell from the internet there is a bracket that is fixed to the torque arm , probably at its bolt, which forms a stop for the black outer housing of your cable. Where that is hiding is anybodies guess. What has probably happened is that the torque arm securing bolt has dropped out, the brake has been applied which has caused the brake to rotate about 180 degrees. What should be towards the front is now at the back. This has torn the end off your cable I expect.
rjb

Post by rjb »

A picture tells a thousand words. :wink:
https://goo.gl/images/xaBfmm

Hope that helps
Last edited by rjb on 11 Nov 2018, 4:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

(Obsoleted)
Last edited by mjr on 11 Nov 2018, 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Sorry, finger trouble. Wrong link pasted. Post amended. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this photo shows more or less how your installation should look

to get yours to look like this you will need to remove the rear wheel, check the bearings are correctly adjusted (*), then reinstall the rear wheel with the torque arm about 180 degrees about from where it is in your photo. There should be an M6 bolt with a nylock on it which secures the torque arm to the slotted mount on the chainstay (as per the left edge of the photo above).

DO NOT operate the brake without the torque arm correctly installed (i.e. bolted to the chainstay); it is quite possible that this is the fault that caused the old brake cable to come adrift. [BTW it is difficult to be sure but the brake cable in your photos looks to be intact].

(*) if the brake plate has rotated in service (which looks to have happened to yours) then it is very likely that the rear wheel bearings will now be out of adjustment. If so you will need to both realign the brake plate and adjust the hub bearings. This is not an especially easy or straightforward operation; if you get it wrong you can wreck the hub gear (= very expensive).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lankystring

Post by Lankystring »

tatanab wrote:The torque arm from the brake should be fixed in that slotted rectangular bracket. The torque arm is the black bracket now at the rear of the bike. The black lever that is now pointing upright is the brake actuation lever to which your cable should attach. This lever should hang down more or less vertically at the rear of the bike. As far as I can tell from the internet there is a bracket that is fixed to the torque arm , probably at its bolt, which forms a stop for the black outer housing of your cable. Where that is hiding is anybodies guess. What has probably happened is that the torque arm securing bolt has dropped out, the brake has been applied which has caused the brake to rotate about 180 degrees. What should be towards the front is now at the back. This has torn the end off your cable I expect.

Thank you!! I thought it looked upside down!! And wondered if a bolt was missing!
Lankystring

Post by Lankystring »

tatanab wrote:The torque arm from the brake should be fixed in that slotted rectangular bracket. The torque arm is the black bracket now at the rear of the bike. The black lever that is now pointing upright is the brake actuation lever to which your cable should attach. This lever should hang down more or less vertically at the rear of the bike. As far as I can tell from the internet there is a bracket that is fixed to the torque arm , probably at its bolt, which forms a stop for the black outer housing of your cable. Where that is hiding is anybodies guess. What has probably happened is that the torque arm securing bolt has dropped out, the brake has been applied which has caused the brake to rotate about 180 degrees. What should be towards the front is now at the back. This has torn the end off your cable I expect.

Thank you!! I thought it looked upside down!! And wondered if a bolt was missing!
Brucey wrote:this photo shows more or less how your installation should look

to get yours to look like this you will need to remove the rear wheel, check the bearings are correctly adjusted (*), then reinstall the rear wheel with the torque arm about 180 degrees about from where it is in your photo. There should be an M6 bolt with a nylock on it which secures the torque arm to the slotted mount on the chainstay (as per the left edge of the photo above).

DO NOT operate the brake without the torque arm correctly installed (i.e. bolted to the chainstay); it is quite possible that this is the fault that caused the old brake cable to come adrift. [BTW it is difficult to be sure but the brake cable in your photos looks to be intact].

(*) if the brake plate has rotated in service (which looks to have happened to yours) then it is very likely that the rear wheel bearings will now be out of adjustment. If so you will need to both realign the brake plate and adjust the hub bearings. This is not an especially easy or straightforward operation; if you get it wrong you can wreck the hub gear (= very expensive).

cheers

Really helps, thank you
Lankystring

Post by Lankystring »

Lankystring wrote:

Brucey wrote:this photo shows more or less how your installation should look

DO NOT operate the brake without the torque arm correctly installed (i.e. bolted to the chainstay); it is quite possible that this is the fault that caused the old brake cable to come adrift. [BTW it is difficult to be sure but the brake cable in your photos looks to be intact]. (This is the new cable, the old one completely snapped off)

cheers

Really helps, thank you