Cable disc compatibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
neilob

Cable disc compatibility

Post by neilob »

Any reason why I shouldn't match current TRP Spyre cable discs with Dura Ace 10 speed 7800 shifters from c2004/5?
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
Brucey

Re: Cable disc compatibility

Post by Brucey »

not really. They will be a bit more powerful and a bit more spongy with a bit more lever travel vs more modern STIs with the same brakes. You are likely to find this setup highly irritating if you have discs that are not perfectly straight.

FWIW I don't think much of those brakes; one of the many faults with them is that the pad adjusters usually start to move around by themselves after a fairly short while. The bearings clap out inside the caliper bodies if they see much wet and the whole premise -that the brake ought to work better if both pads move- is a half-baked crock....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
neilob

Re: Cable disc compatibility

Post by neilob »

Thanks as ever for your expert insight Brucey. I was concerned this might be the case. Happily my frame takes rim brakes too so I will look for a pair of med drop calipers and keep things simple.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.