What colour for my tourer upgrade & other bits

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: What colour for my tourer upgrade & other bits

Postby Brucey » 16 Nov 2018, 10:33am

IIRC OP has specifically asked that they is not advised that the repair/refurb is uneconomic etc...

BTW 501 tubing is/was (as Peetee says) comparable with a lot of other DB CrMo tubing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

whoof

Postby whoof » 16 Nov 2018, 10:46am

Brucey wrote:IIRC OP has specifically asked that they is not advised that the repair/refurb is uneconomic etc...

cheers

Welcome to the forum.

cycle tramp

Postby cycle tramp » 16 Nov 2018, 11:04pm

Hello there! I always love reading about people who keep their old & much loved bicycles going! If the frame is already going under the wielding torch, have you considered getting a rear disc brake mount & associated drop out strengthening for the frame? That way you can use a disc brake at the rear, which should work better than the cantilever brakes you have at the moment. Admittedly you'd need a new rear wheel, but you may save money on wheel rim wear :-)
(Not sure about using a front disc though, as you need super strong forks to resist the braking forces, so you may be better off with a rim brake at the front) Don't forget to post pictures of your finished bicycle :)

David9694

Postby David9694 » 16 Nov 2018, 11:25pm

My bike knows every word you say. He’s good boy isn’t, isn’t he? I think that’s equally daft in relation to a bike as it is to a pet. So now you’ve got me defending the OP, who I was somewhat critical of a day or so ago. It’s nice that you’ve had positive experiences with people - that ain’t always the way.

I still think the OP could get more bang for his buck, by going another way. But if a bike has stayed with you through thick and thin, not let you down when others have, returned your affection unconditionally it’s hard ever to say goodbye.

PSAS

Postby PSAS » 5 Dec 2018, 4:30pm

Thanks for all your thoughts and input.
BRG it is with white/cream, I have thought or a really understated lighter BRG but perhaps that will be so understated as to be invisible, I did look at various blues which could be very nice but prefer green as a colour. Thanks for the advice. not much love out there for my extrovert purple...
As for the Canti's I think I will start by different bracket and lower straddle - might get a Velo Orange. TBH adjusting the Canti's is something I have never really mastered - not helped by the Dawes handbook adjustment advice saying don't attempt this and take to LBS. Not sure that some of the LBS's I have been to have done any better than me. My dissatisfaction predates the STIs, which are relatively recent.
The top tube will be 631. I will achieve a weight gain of a magnificent 150-200 gms so I will be flying along. I will be keeping the internal cable routing but am having work done to stop the water ingress issue – let us hope this means the tube does not need replacing in another 20 years.
Brucey - on the Velo Orange is there a recommendation on the specific brakes to get. Grande Cru Zest looks like that is this is the most likely to improve things, at a cost.
The other thing I am giving a bit of thought to is a new crankset - this is needed. I think my choice is limited - 9 speed triple. Any alternatives to Sora 9 speed?
Thanks very much so far and look forward to more advice. Will post up pic when done - will be few months.

Off topic (for those that do not agree with me, this is perfectly fine but not that desperate to hear from you further):
I repeat 'I am not interested in knowing that I might be better off buying another bike/frame':
The two reason for my doing this is to learn about my bike - stripping and reassembly and also 'green' , ie. use what I already have - I fully accept that the bike is a little bit like triggers broom, but I think the point still holds. And it is the bicycle I cycled to both my children's birth on and carted them around in before they could refuse my cycle 'invites'. I also feel the frame has adjusted to me...
I would only add the uneconomic 501 gas pipe tubing has taken me well over 40,000 miles over the past 20 years, albeit not at 'Strava' speed.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 5 Dec 2018, 7:30pm

re the brakes; I'd try setting the arms wider and the straddles lower first of all, because it is not expensive or difficult to do. The VO brakes are one of just a few cantis that offer much higher MA that matches modern levers better. They also will vary in MA depending on how they are set up. You can spend a lot more on some other brakes, BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 5 Dec 2018, 8:31pm

Spa triple?
Strong light triple?
Is it a square bottom bracket or Shimano octalink?
Do you need to replace shifters too? if new then sora are 9 speed. Claris 8 speed and tiagra 10spd.

Cheers James

PSAS

Postby PSAS » 16 Dec 2018, 9:48pm

Thanks again:
I am thinking I will try the VO brakes. Look forward to setting up...
I will also investigate Spa/Strong light triple?
Bottom bracket = Shimano octalink I think
Do not intend to change shifters.
I have asked at couple of bikeshops and online and to a man they say I will lose out from not having Shimano - less smooth gear changes/lower quality. They have obviously not seen some of my gear changes, but is there anything in this really? I am inclined to think not.

hondated

Postby hondated » 17 Dec 2018, 9:36am

[quote="cycle tramp"] Don't forget to post pictures of your finished bicycle :)[/quote
Arrrh you've struck a nerve with me there. Clearly someone like me who likes photographs of bikes.
Me thinks time for a new thread :lol:

PSAS

Postby PSAS » 8 Jan 2019, 6:11pm

The bicycle went into the workshop before Christmas.....