RX100 Replacement

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Stradageek

RX100 Replacement

Post by Stradageek »

Can anyone help?

I've moved Shimano groupset from a dead (badly corroded) Orbea 'Tour-3' steel racing frame to an aluminium racing bike frame.

It all fits and (potentially) works (7-speed STI changers, 48/38/28 rings, 7 speed cassette, RSX derailleur, RS100 front shifter) but of course the front changer clamp is for a 28mm steel frame whereas this bike is 32mm alloy.

I've raided my box of spare changers to no avail, they are mostly MTB changers which fit a 32mm seat tube cannot run close enough to the seat tube to cope with the granny ring.

Can anyone point me to an RSX equivalent with a 32mm clamp - or at least something that will work?

All help appreciated

Cheers

Stradageek
Stradageek

Re: RX100 Replacement

Post by Stradageek »

NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

The Claris 8 speed changer would almost certainly work since 7 and 8 speed chains are the same width (or as near as makes no difference). It's intended for 50/39/30 rings but I'm using a Sora 9 speed changer intended for 50/39/30 on 48/38/28 with no trouble.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/derailleurs ... 18-349-mm/
I'm using a Claris on another bike, with 48/38/24 which also shifts OK but that one has barend shifters. It comes with shims to suit tubes smaller than the 34.9 mm it's designed for. Probably best not to use a changer intended for more than 8 speed with a 7/8 speed chain since it may rub when cross chained. You could use a (say) 9 speed chain though if you wanted, though I've not used a mixed combination like that.

Secondhand changers are available of course.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some thing to keep in mind I read some where that RSX stuff is fussy about what you use together - The front sti dont have any nudge/fine adjustment click so setting up has to be very accurate.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

mercalia wrote:some thing to keep in mind I read some where that RSX stuff is fussy about what you use together - The front sti dont have any nudge/fine adjustment click so setting up has to be very accurate.

That may not be much of a problem in practice; I happily rode around on my 9 speed Tiagra for years without even knowing that it had a any trim options! If the cable tension and top/bottom limit screws are correctly adjusted it may just mean that the more extreme cross chained options won't work well.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Hi again guys

Following advice from Sheldon Brown that 'most front shifters can be made to work after a fashion on most rings' I tried an old 'Falcon' shifter (from one of my boxes of spares) for which I risked bending the camp from 28mm to accommodate the 32mm seat tube.

It works like a dream :D

Bonus
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Stradageek wrote:Hi again guys

Following advice from Sheldon Brown that 'most front shifters can be made to work after a fashion on most rings' I tried an old 'Falcon' shifter (from one of my boxes of spares) for which I risked bending the camp from 28mm to accommodate the 32mm seat tube.

It works like a dream :D

Bonus

Congratulations :) That's quite something. I could believe it for a double but triple STIs are notoriously tricky!