QR Nut won't come off

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mark a.

QR Nut won't come off

Post by mark a. »

I want to replace a QR adjusting nut (acorn) on the front wheel of my utility bike with a spare light mount I had lying around (a bit like one of these).

However, the nut won't easily unscrew off the end of the skewer. Before I get out the pliers and brute force it off, I wanted to check if it was intentional e.g. a captive nut.

It's a Shimano internal cam QR on a Nexus hub brake front hub. Perhaps because it's a hub brake the requirements are different? Or is it most likely that it's all got a bit dirty / rusty / bent thread?
Brucey

Re: QR Nut won't come off

Post by Brucey »

if the end of the skewer poked out of the nut before, chances are that it has got 'bruised' and that is why the nut won't come off; it is meant to.

My suggestion is to remove the wheel from the frame, wind the nut on as far as it will go, and take a look at the threads on the end of the skewer. Chances are that a tickle with a file or a wire brush will sort it out.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Or Rust even.

Get a M5 cheap die and wind it on by hand (after winding acorn nut out of way first) but use the die back wards, ie there is less chamfer on rear of die so you can clean thread further.

Rust wire brush, small tri-square swiss file / die. bit of oil and it will / might be stiff but be patient, clean up well when its off.
Swap acorn nut if another good QR skewer does not go on freely / swap QR for new.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Right, that's good to know. I wanted to check there wasn't some weird reason why a non-removable nut would be a good idea. I seemed like it would be madness for it to be the case, but I've been surprised by "mad" decisions before.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

Some finesse, cunning and brute force did the trick. Thanks :)