Exposure lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Michelin

Exposure lights

Post by Michelin »

I am thinking of buying an Exposure light. I have 2 in mind that I like but am not sure which one would be better for me one is the Strada SB mk9 the other is the Toro mk10. I ride down quiet country lanes mostly and never see any cars so don’t need to worry about dazzling on coming traffic. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these two lights
roubaixtuesday

Re: Exposure lights

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I have a Strada, not sure the model number, but much several numbers before current I guess.

Exposure are ruinously expensive but worth it IMO, top notch kit. Had it for about 5 years, never failed me, using it every day commuting through winter, mainly on back lanes. Good for a 30mph descent.

I've also had a "joystick" for 10 years, and also more recently one of their helmet mounted lights.

I'd highly recommend the Red Eye plug in rear light with the Strada - again, top kit, and removes the need to charge two lights as it runs off the front light battery.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've got a Sirius.
Good bit of kit, nice and solid and strong. Good light too, but all spoiled by the rubbish handlebar mount held on by an elastic band via a plastic clip.
The thing droops or elevates as you ride and I'm always having to re-aim it and it slides forward and back in the clip seemingly automatically as you ride. Also, the clip doesn't allow for left/right alignment so you are limited to where you can fit the light. Not all of us have a straight section on our handlebars.

This review is wrong IMO regarding the security of the clip.
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/reviews/ ... s-mk4.html
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick,

I think you could use one of these - it fits the Strada and joystick I have, and I think will do your sirius too. They're very good IMO, best light bracket I've used (normally the weak link of any lighting system)

As with all things exposure, not cheap.

https://exposurelights.com/products/bik ... 0mm-31-8mm

[edit - link added]
Last edited by roubaixtuesday on 20 Nov 2018, 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:I've got a Sirius.
Good bit of kit, nice and solid and strong. Good light too, but all spoiled by the rubbish handlebar mount held on by an elastic band via a plastic clip.
The thing droops or elevates as you ride and I'm always having to re-aim it and it slides forward and back in the clip seemingly automatically as you ride. Also, the clip doesn't allow for left/right alignment so you are limited to where you can fit the light. Not all of us have a straight section on our handlebars.

This review is wrong IMO regarding the security of the clip.
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/reviews/ ... s-mk4.html

Had the same problems with mine, Mick, before my daughter knicked it for her bike :cry:

Regarding the plastic cradle rotating on the bars, I did something (can't quite remember what) with three thin black zip ties to keep it exactly at the chosen angle. The bulky parts of the ties acted as limiters. And to stop the lamp sliding forwards in the cradle I just put one of those black elastic bands off a wrapped inner tube around it a couple of times to limit how far forward it could go. Together these keep it exactly where I want it.

Edit.
The three black zip ties (thin) are around the bar two with the thick square block forward facing, the middle one with the block facing back. The cradle sits on top with the front edge unable to rotate down due to the blocks, and the rear unable to rotate back due to the solo middle block. All held on by the rubbery doodah. If that makes sense. Takes two minutes to arrange and doesn't look to messy.

For upmarket road use (including lanes) anything with the word Strada will do nicely. Don't use a dazzler on the lanes cos you might meet me coming the other way, and I won't like it.
Last edited by pwa on 20 Nov 2018, 4:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Often thought about getting Exposure Lights as they get good reviews but too expensive for my needs.
In trawling for bike lights this name constantly comes up so I thought I would pass it onto you as there are some very good lights at a more reasonable price.
Case of you takes your choice …

http://www.torchy.co.uk/product-category/bike_lights/
:wink:
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

I have two Exposure Link (bidirectional) lights. They have been superb and based on these I give Exposure 10/10 they are wonderful products.

If you buy other type of lights then one thing to factor in is how long will they last before they break. I have a whole drawer full of broken bike lights. Both my Exposure lights have been fine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

atlas_shrugged wrote:I have two Exposure Link (bidirectional) lights. They have been superb and based on these I give Exposure 10/10 they are wonderful products.

If you buy other type of lights then one thing to factor in is how long will they last before they break. I have a whole drawer full of broken bike lights. Both my Exposure lights have been fine.

I second that. They cost a lot. But they last.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

I have several Exposure lights. I can back up what is said above - they last, and they keep working in all weathers. I have a Toro front light that is over 10 years old and it is still going strong, and holds plenty of charge for commuting. Exposure products are also repairable in the UK - I have a Diablo that was chewed by a Labrador puppy, and the switch came out. I was able to send it back for repair with quick turnaround and reasonable price. You can find lights on eBay that are a fraction of the cost, but will last a fraction of the time, and will go in the bin when they fail. I bet they also wouldn't pass the "Labrador test" - see indentation below!

P1060245.JPG
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I don't know if the models you mentioned have the same facility but one of the best features of the exposure joystick is how it can be quickly 'programmed' to set to many levels of brightness.

Most Cree lights these days have their lowest setting still way brighter than is needed for very effective 'be seen' functionality. Consequentially run time on the lowest setting might still only be in the region of 10 or so hours. The joystick can of course pump out retina searing levels of light when needed off road or whatever, but the lowest setting which is still very bright for be seen riding (and even see by if you have good eyes) gets you about 36 hours on one charge.

As others have mentioned the bar mount with rubber band is dismal, as it is with all lights that mount in such a manner. On some of my bikes I can get around that easily without having to shell out an extortionate sum for the exposure alu bar mount. I do this by using a re-useable zip tie to secure the front of the light to a brake or gear cable near the levers, while the mount holds the rear of the light. If the cables are lower down the torch can also be mounted slung underneath the bars and secured in a similar manner. The torch won't pop out of the mount as it is surprisingly secure. In any case you can loop the lanyard around the bar as a backup.

I don't have experience of other exposure lights other than the joystick and I did resent paying quite so much for it, but it is very good and much more versatile than other lights as being cylindrical it can be removed in an instant and used as a torch for camping etc with the huge battery life and small size for light output. It's also waterproof and has been bomb proof. Still way too expensive though.
Michelin

Post by Michelin »

I went with the Toro in the end.I know its got more lumens than the Strada but there was quite a big difference on the brightest setting of each one and the size difference was minimal. Going out tonight to try it out. I also bought the remote switch for it which is really handy. Cant wait to try it after
ianrobo

Exposure lights

Post by ianrobo »

I have the Strada 1200 and the rear one and they are great. People mention the fixing at the front but I found a tip which solved it.

Basically with the screw, do not screw it from the top down but bottom up and works a treat

hondated

Post by hondated »

Clearly some people on here have money to burn then :wink:
ianrobo

Exposure lights

Post by ianrobo »

hondated wrote:Clearly some people on here have money to burn then :wink:

I needed a real powerful light with long battery life and after checking this was a real no brainier
mjr

Post by mjr »

Keep them for off road please, or maybe urban streetlight areas on their lowest setting. Don't dazzle other cyclists and no, you can't aim it at the ground enough to see and not dazzle.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.