GPS-Garmin800 repairs?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Woodtourer

GPS-Garmin800 repairs?

Post by Woodtourer »

Wondering if anyone has any experience with working on their unit?
Thanks!
pq

Re: GPS-Garmin800 repairs?

Post by pq »

No, but there's a guy on ebay who sometimes has parts for them. He seems to buy up old ones cheap and split them up for parts. My 800 needs a new USB port and I have a look now and again to see if he's got any.
One link to your website is enough. G
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks!
whoof

Post by whoof »

pq wrote:No, but there's a guy on ebay who sometimes has parts for them. He seems to buy up old ones cheap and split them up for parts. My 800 needs a new USB port and I have a look now and again to see if he's got any.

Are they UK based and if so do you have a link?
I've searched and all the ones I've found are in the US.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-USB-conn ... SwhxBZsPbO
pq

Post by pq »

No, not UK based. Somewhere in Europe as I recall.

I don't have a link I'm afraid, but when he's got stuff in it comes up if you search for Garmin parts. His user name is something obvious to do with GPS parts. Caveat is that I've never bought anything from him, but he has decent feedback.
whoof

Post by whoof »

pq wrote:No, not UK based. Somewhere in Europe as I recall.

I don't have a link I'm afraid, but when he's got stuff in it comes up if you search for Garmin parts. His user name is something obvious to do with GPS parts. Caveat is that I've never bought anything from him, but he has decent feedback.

Thanks, the USB port on Mrs Whoof Touring 520 won't allow the uploading of new routes so am looking for a way to fix it.
Did you know that there's a guide to try and clean corroded connections?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Garmin+Edg ... pair/92578

This one is for the 520 but there might be one for your device and the port cleaning should be the same.
pq

Post by pq »

Yes, I've done all that stuff. It kept it going for a while but now will only charge.

I've not really tried very hard to sort it - as part of my business I rent out Edge Tourings, so since my 800 died I've just used spare rental units.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

You can get in touch with Garmin who will, as I understand it, repair the unit. Though I also gather that often they just send you out a refurbed one from stock. Maybe not the cheapest option mind....
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

I live here in the US. After more searching I have located 2 small businesses that repair GPS units. In fact they both discuss,on their site, the very problem I am having with the USB port. So for $40US I can have it repaired with a new USB port!
pq

Post by pq »

I'm not surprised. USB problems are inevitable at some point with Garmins - it's the nature of the beast, so it's an obvious business opportunity for someone.