Chain cleaner

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Re: Chain cleaner

Post by David9694 »

Thanks Brucey. I had a Smartlink fail on me in an awkward gear change back in the summer. Whether it was a re-usable I’m not sure. It could be the rose tinted spectacles, but pre chain cleaner devices, I never had an issue arise from popping rivets in and out.

it all points to using a chain cleaner device to do routine cleans in situ. So maybe Santa will see this thread.

Here’s something else - this year I’ve developed a weakness in my left arm - in the summer it was tennis elbow, now it’s the wrist. In the summer I had to use the other arm to lift a bidon for a drink. Now I’m finding I really don’t look forward to operating the left brifter and would not want to do that on a 5 day holiday for sure. I hope this clears up. Meanwhile, my other bikes running down tube levers are the best therapy!
Last edited by David9694 on 28 Nov 2018, 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Chain off then into a bath of white spirit for a shake, hang to dry in the garage before re-lubing. less faff than trying to do it on the bike. Let the crud settle in the white spirit and use the fluid again.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Well if you don't over lube you don't have the problem.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

foxyrider wrote:Well if you don't over lube you don't have the problem.

I've been saying this for looong time: use very litte lube, use it often than usual, always clean before and after with a rag. This way there's no excess and can be easily cleaned, you may never need to completely "degrease" the chain, though doing so makes it last even longer and alwaya looks neat.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Witterings wrote:...
A number believe that using de-greaser gets into the more internal parts that the manufacturer has purposefully lubricated removing the grease which never gets properly replaced when you re-lube.....

That could be true for a chain that works in optimal conditions, but a bicycle chain works in less than optimal conditions, been exposed to water, sand, mud, road grit and the likes.
So the original lubricant lubricant gets contaminated and it's detrimental to leave it, must be flushed away and replaced.

peetee wrote:I tried those thingummybobs but they couldn't get it whiter than white. ...
Laborious but thorough.

Perhaps you're not using the right solvent.
The advantage of a "chain cleaner device" is that with a few spins (=5 minutes max, vs. 1 hour you're talking of) you get its little round brush to clean inside each link, something that requires a lot of scrubbing with a normal brush.
One trick, and it works especially well with this Muc-Off, is to drip a little of solvent, spin the chain so to get the solvent "working in", after a minute or so push the button to get all the remaining solvent to drip on the chain, spin a couple of minutes. Then rinse the chain with a common cleaner, then rinse with water.
Goes without saying that a bio-degradable solvent has to be used!

fausto99 wrote:...
I would guess the pro's mechanics probably use a fresh chain every day :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not all the "Pro mechanics" work for Team Sky with multi-million budgets, their vast majority is actually people that look after the local races and sportive events, so yes they will reuse the chains :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Gattonero wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Well if you don't over lube you don't have the problem.

I've been saying this for looong time: use very litte lube, use it often than usual, always clean before and after with a rag. This way there's no excess and can be easily cleaned, you may never need to completely "degrease" the chain, though doing so makes it last even longer and alwaya looks neat.

I agree,and I'm on record on the forum as posting the same thing in the past.
Less excess lube on the chain means less attraction to muck and grit,and I only ever lube my chain after a ride,that way it can soak in and any excess dry off ready for the next ride.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

reohn2 wrote:... I only ever lube my chain after a ride,that way it can soak in and any excess dry off ready for the next ride.

Precisely.
Wipe off the grime, let soak, then wipe off the excess 8)