Size of SKS mudguards for 700x38 tyre?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Re: Size of SKS mudguards for 700x38 tyre?

Post by Sweep »

Thanks slowster.

Intriguing, though am trying to figure out what it fastens to on the mudguards. Not near a bike at the mo to help my brain.

The build will have a Tubus rack - one I have around - can't check which one at the mo.

In truth there do seem to be a fair number ifs in that thing.

And although (like many I think) I find fitting SKS guards a challenge and so allow several hours to do it, I have always found that once fitted they are trouble free. I don't think I have any issues that need to be overcome to be honest.

But thanks for the post/suggestion.
Sweep
slowster

Post by slowster »

Sweep wrote:am trying to figure out what it fastens to on the mudguards.

I just had to drill a 5mm hole in the centre of the mudguard (after fitting the bracket, fixing the mudguard at the chainstay bridge, and then holding the mudguard up to the bracket to determine where I needed to drill). I seem to recall I was able to use one of the various small bolts, washers and a locknut that were in the bag of various nuts and bolts supplied by SKS with the mudguards. The only other thing I had to do was bend the bracket tab from its 90 degree angle to match the angle of the mudguard a bit more closely.

Sweep wrote:In truth there do seem to be a fair number ifs in that thing.

I posted those because I didn't want people to buy the bracket and then find it wasn't suitable for their particular set up. In reality, I think that with the rack fitted and the rear wheel in, it should be very straightforward to slide the mudguard in place and see if there is too big a distance between the mudguard and the rack's light bracket.

Sweep wrote:And although (like many I think) I find fitting SKS guards a challenge and so allow several hours to do it, I have always found that once fitted they are trouble free. I don't think I have any issues that need to be overcome to be honest.

I've always been happy with the SKS stays, and like you I just take my time fitting them. The reason why I tried the bracket on this last build was because the bike is exclusively ridden off-road. I had sticks get caught in the rear wheel spokes of its predecessor, which did not have mudguards. That experience and concern about what would happen if a stick caught on rear mudguard stays prompted me to try the bracket. If the bracket had not fitted, I was planning to use Secuclips on the rear stays.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Great place this forum is.

Am facing the same question on another build.

Info never sticks in my mind so I was able to search for this.

Think I will maybe go for 50 on this one.
Sweep