Tube Sealant on Tubeless?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GoodOne

Tube Sealant on Tubeless?

Post by GoodOne »

Hi,

I wanted to get a tubeless sealant. So, I went to a shop pick a slime tube sealant (i never know that there is such thing as tube sealant) and was told that it is for tubeless. Didn't look into it much so got it and use it for my tubeless found out later that the produce stated online that it's not recommended for tubeless. So, I try to remove the tyre out the next day but just couldn't get it out. It stick like a superglue. Anyone experience this situation? Tube sealant on tubeless tyre? So i just leave it? Any advise would be really great.
althebike

Re: Tube Sealant on Tubeless?

Post by althebike »

I use Stans sealant, it seems to stay pretty liquid. If it does go thick then it would be unable to get around the tire to seal holes.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news ... less-tyres
Cugel

Re: Tube Sealant on Tubeless?

Post by Cugel »

althebike wrote:I use Stans sealant, it seems to stay pretty liquid. If it does go thick then it would be unable to get around the tire to seal holes.
https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news ... less-tyres

As I recall from my reading, slime (the brand name) is meant for tubes, not tubeless tyres. It's a thick & sticky stuff that will seal a hole in a tube, not a tyre.

It is possible to put slime into a tube that wasn't already sold with slime in it. (Slime originally seemed available only in tubes sold as such, not as a separate product). Even then, reports are that slime is a difficult thing to get into a dry tube, even if it has got a removable calve core. It doesn't flow very easily.

Tubeless tyres need something more liquid and not inherently super-sticky like slime. There are latex-based "milks" that stay liquid for a good while (6-12 months) inside the tyre and only harden if squirted out under pressure from a puncture. (and in time; and in high temperatures). You renew the latex milk in your tubeless tyre about every 6 months, via the removable valve core space, as the previous milk will have dried to a thin layer inside the tyre and rim-bed.

There are some other "milks" for tubeless tyres now that are said to stay liquid for the life of the tyre - some are Kevlar-based (fibres of that material suspended in a liquid which will bind & clog up a puncture hole). And some others.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes