USB power pack that *recharges itself* quickly?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Fast charge powerbanks?

Postby Sweep » 1 Mar 2018, 11:11am

I mean where the powerbank charges quickly, not recharges quickly the devices drawing power from them.

I know that anker does the latter.

So are there any fast charge powerbanks and are they any good?

I have an anker 20100 high capacity powercore powerbank and like it but it is neither fast to charge itself or fast to charge devices.

In truth I don't really care too much about fast recharging of devices from a powerbank as I can easily do this overnight in the tent.

But a powerbank which charged up quickly from the mains, without suffering in the process, would be handy and might mean I would never have to make the transition to the complications of charging a powerbank from a hub dynamo.

So do such things exist?

If not are they perhaps just round the corner?
Sweep

mjr

Re: Fast charge powerbanks?

Postby mjr » 1 Mar 2018, 11:57am

veho's pebble from many years ago charges at 16V 1A, but lately 5V USB charging seems to have won and it's rare to see more than a 2A USB port. The "USB Power Delivery" spec says up to 5A at 20V should actually beat the old pebble charger... but I found only one battery pack supporting USB Power Delivery and it was output not input: the Ravpower 26800mAh Portable Charger Model RP-PB058, which seems to be £80 and it looks the fastest way to charge it would be a 15V/2A USB Type C charger which isn't included with it. There also look to be a lot of reports of dud USB-C cables out there, some of which are accused of killing devices.

So it looks like it's coming soon but maybe isn't here yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

PH

Postby PH » 1 Mar 2018, 12:19pm

Rather than fast charge a single powerbank, have you considered simultaneously charging more than one? It achieves the same thing, plus allows you to use those not on charge.
I do this with two small Ankers and a 4 port charger, I charge them both plus phone and Garmin at the same time and for my usage an hour or two once every couple of days is enough.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 1 Mar 2018, 12:38pm

PH wrote:Rather than fast charge a single powerbank, have you considered simultaneously charging more than one? It achieves the same thing, plus allows you to use those not on charge.
I do this with two small Ankers and a 4 port charger, I charge them both plus phone and Garmin at the same time and for my usage an hour or two once every couple of days is enough.

Interesting suggestion PH.

Which 4 port charger do you use?

Daft question maybe, but does it pump out full power through all four ports?

I have an anker two port one which is good.

Ps, do I take it that you don't use dynamo charging?
Sweep

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Mar 2018, 12:57pm

Sweep wrote:In truth I don't really care too much about fast recharging of devices from a powerbank as I can easily do this overnight in the tent.

That only works well if the devices actually stop sucking charge when full, doesn't it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

PH

Postby PH » 1 Mar 2018, 12:59pm

Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:Rather than fast charge a single powerbank, have you considered simultaneously charging more than one? It achieves the same thing, plus allows you to use those not on charge.

Interesting suggestion PH.

Which 4 port charger do you use?

Daft question maybe, but does it pump out full power through all four ports?

I have an anker two port one which is good.

Ps, do I take it that you don't use dynamo charging?

My charger is an Anker, can't find a link to the exact model, but it seems pretty similar to this one and yes each port is the same as having a single one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Anker- ... 5GW6MRNX65

I have dynamos on both bikes I'm likely to tour on, I have a couple of times considered getting a USB charger for them. It appeals to the self sufficiency ethos, but TBH I've never come close to not having enough charge in my devices so it would be solving a non existent problem!
As a back up I carry a AA to USB converter, it's never been used (Other than to check it works) but it's reassuring to know it's there. It's loaded with lithium batteries, which are both light and have a ten year shelf life!

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 1 Mar 2018, 1:05pm

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:In truth I don't really care too much about fast recharging of devices from a powerbank as I can easily do this overnight in the tent.

That only works well if the devices actually stop sucking charge when full, doesn't it?

You mean they can damage from overcharging?

I tend to wake once or twice during the night anyway so can check.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 1 Mar 2018, 1:12pm

Thanks for your reply ph.

I may well take your route.
I can get your charger and a second powerbank for less than the cost of a dynamo hub, power converter etc. And just sit and wait for powerbank tech to advance.

And save a !ot of fag.
Sweep

ConRAD

Postby ConRAD » 1 Mar 2018, 1:55pm

Sweep wrote:... I mean where the powerbank charges quickly, not recharges quickly the devices drawing power from them...

In this case you have just one solution, just one, not two !! ... you must go higher with the voltage !!
Look at the table below, the rule of the thumb shall have of course to apply !! ... and, as you can see, 5V-USB will never fit your need !!

mjr

Postby mjr » 1 Mar 2018, 3:01pm

Sweep wrote:
mjr wrote:

You mean they can damage from overcharging?

I tend to wake once or twice during the night anyway so can check.

Some shorten life by overcharging. Others turn on frippery like lights and full power wifi by regarding a power feed as an all-they-can-eat feast, flattening the powerpack for little/no benefit. Some newer devices can actually shut off but it's rarely covered in reviews or specs.

ConRAD

Postby ConRAD » 1 Mar 2018, 6:35pm

Just to complete my previous post it might be of some interest to look at the two pictures here below that show how voltage can play a fundamental role in the charging process: indeed in the first picture the charging power rate is more than three times the charging rate of the second one.

Image Image

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Mar 2018, 7:11pm

mjr wrote:

The Anker one (26800mAh) that I have appears to be clever enough to switch itself off when charged (all the lights go out). I think the generic one I had before did the same.

Sweep

ARe: Fast charge powerbanks?

Postby Sweep » 2 Mar 2018, 10:00am

Rick, i think you are referring to the charging of the anker power bank, which of course I can't do in my tent.

Mjr was referring I think to the charging of the devices FROM the powerbank.
Sweep

PH

Re: ARe: Fast charge powerbanks?

Postby PH » 2 Mar 2018, 10:08am

Sweep wrote:Rick, i think you are referring to the charging of the anker power bank, which of course I can't do in my tent.

Mjr was referring I think to the charging of the devices FROM the powerbank.

Maybe mjr would explain what he means, all of my devices - phone, Garmin, torch, radio, camera - can be left to charge overnight.

RickH

Re: ARe: Fast charge powerbanks?

Postby RickH » 2 Mar 2018, 11:00am

Sweep wrote:Rick, i think you are referring to the charging of the anker power bank, which of course I can't do in my tent.

I use a 21W solar panel to top up the power bank if I'm in a fixed location I've not yet tried fixing it on the outside of my luggage to see how it does charging on the move). It seems to provide at least some charging even on a rainy day in the UK (I've used it in North Wales & Yorkshire Dales).

Sweep wrote:Mjr was referring I think to the charging of the devices FROM the powerbank.

OK. I don't know the answer to that it will vary from device to device. The garmin bike computers that I'm familiar with know when they are at 100% but will still use a little to power the display to tell you that info (but they always turn the back light off when just charging rather than actually running on external power). What I will usually do is charge gadgets - bike computer, etc. - once I've set up camp so I know they are done then leave my phone connected to charge over night. My last phone stopped charging as when I've left it overnight the powerbank had turned its charging off. It's replacement (I broke the old one) I haven't tried yet but would expect it to be similar.