Need waterproof flashing front light recommendation please

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
danfoto

Need waterproof flashing front light recommendation please

Post by danfoto »

Apologies if the solution to our problem has been discussed recently, but a search on "front light" failed to turn up what we're after.

Both my wife and I cycle year-round as our only means of transport, and both our bikes have good front lights powered by hub dynamos, as well as two separate rear lights. However, we'd like to add handlebar-mounted flashing front lights in order to increase the "be seen" factor at night and particularly in bad weather. All we need is a simple unit that takes either AA or AAA cells, gives a good flashing light, is waterproof and is good value for money.

Any recommendations please?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
vandjq

Re: Need waterproof flashing front light recommendation please

Post by vandjq »

See this website for good advice on buying lights:

https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/index_en.html

But he doesn't like flashing ones:

On a rainy night I encountered someone with a strong flashing front lamp ca. autumn 2008, and I blurted out 'gek' (idiot, or better translated probably 'nutter') to him as this is perfect to blind oncoming traffic. It's hard enough to see anything in the rain, without some idiot coming with a (strong) flashing headlamp that kills your night vision. Manufacturers who make flashing front lamps need to get a reality check and people who use them need to get some education as to why this is bad. And again, flashing front lamps are illegal in e.g. the Netherlands and Germany.

My own experience is that they tend to make me focus on the light instead of watching out for all the other stuff going on around me on my commute.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Smear Vaseline around the battery cover to reduce chance of water getting in.
I should coco.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

If you are interested in a USB rechargeable:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/vioo-clip-5 ... 02869.html

It's cheap, it can be used for front or rear (white and red).
And is not too bright to be a distraction for drivers
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Thank you gentlemen but I've now found this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-femto-dr ... led-light/ which has to be worth a punt ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

danfoto wrote:Thank you gentlemen but I've now found this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-femto-dr ... led-light/ which has to be worth a punt ...

mm

Got to say I avoid any light powered by those batteries.

Omni 5 as suggested in the thread far better in my opinion.

Am a great fan of a vaguely similar looking/size light from Cateye which uses a single AA - forget its name.

Now discontinued but perhaps still available from some places.

The rear had a tendency to bounce its front off on rough roads but have had no problem with the front. Its superb. Battery lasts well, no cell balancing issues (only 1 cell) seems waterproof, as bright as you need, small for popping in pockets/luggage, uses the very common standard cateye mount.
Sweep
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Sweep wrote: ...Got to say I avoid any light powered by those batteries ...

And I've got to say we've had several Cateye lights over the years, none of which have proved waterproof, which is why we won't now buy anything with "Cateye" on it :)
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I'm a fan of the Aldi Bikemate lights; they've survived being blasted with water very well until some exceptionally bad conditions for four fours yesterday which has left a fair amount of water inside the lenses, however all four are still working!

Currently they're drying out in front of the truck's heater vent...

It really was exceptionally harsh yesterday, I'm still very impressed with them, especially for the money (£13).Image

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I should add, they charge over USB (so I usually use the truck cigarette lighter and pay nothing for electric or batteries) and they last for ages. And I'm passenger, not driver just now! [emoji6]

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

danfoto wrote:
Sweep wrote: ...Got to say I avoid any light powered by those batteries ...

And I've got to say we've had several Cateye lights over the years, none of which have proved waterproof, which is why we won't now buy anything with "Cateye" on it :)

Fair dos, different experiences

The light I referred to above (for anyone else interested)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cat ... -prod64504
Sweep