Can i lengthen a shimano chain?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
dezzie

Can i lengthen a shimano chain?

Post by dezzie »

My Conundrum is i am rebuilding an old F frame Moulton with modern components, it now has an 8 speed sturmey hub and a modern pista crank/chainwheel, i wanted a nice bling chain and got a Shimano nx01 oval link chain but its to short, so i bought another hoping to be able to remove the amount i need to lengthen it by quite a bit, is it just a case of easing a pin out and adding the length needed? I dont want normal looking chain links added so let me know if anyone has done it, until the bikes complete and gearing is worked out and tested i am not settled on an exact length yet but it my be 6 inches plus.
FB_IMG_1543335059694.jpg
dezzie

Re: Can i lengthen a shimano chain?

Post by dezzie »

This type of chain.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1543335087708.jpg
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Nice heavy swaging of those pin ends means that, I would probably grind off pin head where you want to split the chain before using a pin extractor (chain splitter / rivet tool), to save opening up / damaging the pin bushing hole.
Then I am afraid you will have to use standard looking link magic links.

Its possible to bodge the whole affair, but you would need to be confident at metal work.
I say that grind off both pin heads on spare length of chain, and after joining the chain with original oval outer links you have removed earlier, on rear of chain use a conventional plain outer plate, but you would need to match up a plate that with push back on the pins to give a good tight fit.
Not easy but not impossible, the aesthetics would from the front be a joinerless chain.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can lengthen any 1/8" chain by installing an extra length of chain with a pair of joining links. If in doubt, try that; nothing lost...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~