Ok choice for new freewheel or too weird?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zxcvbnm

Ok choice for new freewheel or too weird?

Postby zxcvbnm » 29 Nov 2018, 8:14pm

My 7 cog shimano megarange freewheel on my hybrid is dying. It has six normal spaced cogs and then one huge one for climbing hills.

I thought of getting another one but then saw this Sunrace mfm300 7 speed 14-34 freewheel https://www.amazon.com/Race-MFM300-7sp- ... 074P9G1MH/ (also on ebay uk) and thought it looked like a much more sensible cog spacing with the same claimed gear range. A bit cheaper too.

Not knowing much about these things I worry that it seems to not be mentioned on the manufacturers website or almost anywhere online.

What do people think?

(I will probably get a freewheel removal tool first anyway and just check I can actually get the old one off the wheel.)

Thank you

Greystoke

Re: Ok choice for new freewheel or too weird?

Postby Greystoke » 29 Nov 2018, 8:33pm

Looks ok to me, as long as you can get it off eBay, that one on amazon won't ship here.

zxcvbnm

Postby zxcvbnm » 30 Nov 2018, 12:47pm

Thank you for that. It is appreciated.

On peering at the back wheel, with some help from a neighbour, it was found that the chain is slipping on the front chainset so it looks like the focus will move towards a new chain and possibly front cogs instead. Still the whole back wheel is a little fading so its time may yet come.

Thank you

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » 30 Nov 2018, 12:49pm

If the chain is that worn you should replace it along with the rear freewheel

zxcvbnm

Postby zxcvbnm » 11 Feb 2020, 1:00pm

Late reply but I did buy one in the end.

£13 for the freewheel plus a £3 shimano removal tool and an extravagant £4 chain from asda and its like a new bike for under £20.

Took much longer figuring what to get and how to do it than actually swapping them over which was fairly painless apart from a few minutes bouncing up and down on the end of a spanner to loosen the old one.

Bit clickier than the shimano one when freewheeling but all in all I'm pleased. Much more sensible range of gears at the easy end for someone like me.

Now I can feel all the other creaky parts of the bike but if it can just hold together for a few more years till they come with an electric turboboost for the hills as standard ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 11 Feb 2020, 5:57pm

FWIW Sun Race freewheels seem pretty good for the money. Not always perfect though; I've had some where the bearing adjustment was *perfect* and others where they needed reshimming from new. Overall the build quality seems as good or perhaps better than a current budget shimano-branded freewheel.

What I would say is that shift-quality-wise, they seem to work pretty well; for years cheap freewheels have most usually shifted poorly, but these seem pretty slick to me.

I have a feeling that the sprocket splined fittings on SunRace freewheels may be based closely on the spline designs used on older shimano freewheels (from the 1980s). If so, with a small modification to the spline, it may be possible to rebuild shimano freewheels using sprockets from current SunRace freewheels.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~