KMC missing link/tyre lever; good idea....?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

KMC missing link/tyre lever; good idea....?

Post by Brucey »

saw this

and thought it might be a good idea for a touring tool kit; a pair of tyre levers that can double as a QL tool. I think it just opens QLs, rather than closes them, but even so it might be worth having.

A potential downside is that the ends you hold when using them as tyre levers are the same ends as are all mussed up with chain lube if you used their QL function before.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fossala

Re: KMC missing link/tyre lever; good idea....?

Post by fossala »

You mean 3-in-1. Tyre lever, missing link tool and handy fork!
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

fossala wrote:You mean 3-in-1. Tyre lever, missing link tool and handy fork!

actually they are 3-in-1 with 'deflating tool'. To deflate your tyres by sticking the middle prong into the valve.

I'm not sure they are much of an improvement on normal tyre levers in that it's pretty easy to remove missing links by hand or with a piece of wire. But I suppose if you wanted such a tool then this might be as good as any.

I'd prioritise good tyre levers personally.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

That does look like a handy tool .
peetee

Post by peetee »

Flawed because of the gunk problem as mentioned and I would be doubtful if those levers could cope with some tyres which IME need a narrow 'flat S' shaped end to work effectively.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
fossala

Post by fossala »

thelawnet wrote:...I'd prioritise good tyre levers personally.

Pedro's, bright pink ones that are easy to find when dropped in the dark.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Given that you're unlikely to need to undo a chain link when out on the road then given the price of these levers (they seem to be about £14) the investment of about a tenner for the Super B brand link pliers that both open AND close links would be a better bet.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
slowster

Post by slowster »

In the first review on Amazon for the more expensive Wolf Tooth tool, the reviewer has posted a picture of a broken KMC tool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Tooth-Pliers-Master-Combo/dp/B07B1YP39N/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=99MBFM2G91SHZBS7RPJ8
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I suspect they are only for use with reusable QLs?

I was thinking about including them in a touring toolkit, where workshop quality tools are not required and weight is at a premium; doubling up on function seems like a good idea.

I remember when plastic tyre levers first came out; they were described as 'unbreakable'. We soon proved that wrong.... :roll:

cheers
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

slowster wrote:In the first review on Amazon for the more expensive Wolf Tooth tool, the reviewer has posted a picture of a broken KMC tool.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Tooth-Pliers-Master-Combo/dp/B07B1YP39N/ref=pd_ybh_a_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=99MBFM2G91SHZBS7RPJ8

That is not the KMC tool.

I'm slightly confused here.

This may be the original tool https://cleverstandard.com/collections/ ... r-original

Presumably they had it manfuactured in China and the Chinese copied them.

This looks like a counterfeit of the Clever Standard version

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KMC-Mis ... 50136.html

However without item in hand it's hard to say - it's possible all three tools are the same quality from the same factory. It's also possible that the £2 one/the one pictured above is brittle plastic.

I know the Chinese do counterfeit actual KCM missing links, but whether this is counterfeit, or merely the original product without the KCM markup sticker, I don't know.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the official KMC picture I posted above has the 'cleverstandard' mark on the levers.

cheers
slowster

Post by slowster »

thelawnet wrote:That is not the KMC tool.

Brucey wrote:the official KMC picture I posted above has the 'cleverstandard' mark on the levers.

My mistake - I should have been put on warning by the fact that it's blue plastic, instead of black.

I do think the Wolf Tooth tool looks like a better tool in terms of quality and function, even though it only has a single tyre lever and is a lot more expensive than the KMC one. However, I'm going to try the toolless Chris Juden method at some point (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9539&start=30#p752883) - if I find I cannot use that technique successfully only then would I think about getting such a tool.
PH

Post by PH »

Some years ago CJ posted or printed the advise to remove a quick link by doubling it up on the chainring and giving it a tap. Works every time for me, even on chains that have come to the end of their life without ever being removed.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It's really not necessary to have a link tool that also installs. Any quick link can be easily pulled fully closed by using chain tension. Just bring the chain around so that the quick link is on the top run from cassette to chainring, checking that the two halves of the link have not been disturbed. Then push on the pedal, preventing the wheel from turning with your other hand if the tyre is not on the ground. Chain tension will easily pop even a tight quick link fully closed.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I can't remember how I got on with the KMC quick links but with the SRAM ones I've never had a problem getting them out with just my hands. I take the chain off the chain rings to make the chain floppy then press the chain together with a bit of twisting an wiggling. A dirty chain can take a minute or so to release but they always release before too long.