Upgrade a Brommie seatpost clamp.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tmac100

Upgrade a Brommie seatpost clamp.

Postby tmac100 » 5 Dec 2018, 7:39pm

When I lift my Brommie, the rear triangle stays fixed with the front frame. This is the newer design, I believe. The seatpost clamp had an additional clamp (rear frame clip I think it is called) to latch onto the suspension block.

However, my friend's Brommie "unfolds" (which is a PITA) when lifting it up. Her Brommie does not have the additional latch (rear frame clip??) on the seatpost clamp.

What parts are needed to "upgrade" her Brommie so it does not "unfold"? Do I also need to order a new metal support "post" for the suspension block? I will be replacing the suspension block with a newly-purchased firmer one that I have.

Thanks for any advice. FWIW, my friend's Brommie is in the UAE so I cannot find it's s/n.

Brucey

Re: Upgrade a Brommie seatpost clamp.

Postby Brucey » 5 Dec 2018, 7:54pm

I think you simply need this

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/frames/brompton-rear-frame-clip-retrofit-kit/

but I have seen plenty of owners make do with a re-usable zip tie....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fivebikes

Postby fivebikes » 5 Dec 2018, 9:54pm

I have fitted the one that Brucey has flagged.
Works a treat!
You can set it to lock or not....Clever.

Also, Spa sell this......never tried it but I’m sure it works and seriously cheap!!!

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s124p12 ... mpton-Clip

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 6 Dec 2018, 12:06am

the clip from Spa cycles does look like a bargain

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » 6 Dec 2018, 5:31pm

Tough to get parts shipped to Qatar. The Spa clip won't ship out of Europe! SJS Cycles wants 35 GBP to ship the Brommie retro-kit to me in Qatar where I currently work. Apparently bicycle tools and parts cannot be sent by UK Mail to Qatar - only by expensive courier. Same with books - which explains why my UK book orders are shipped from Holland :?: :roll:

Thus, I got the kit in Canada and had it shipped within Canada. I paid $50 CAD for the kit and mail and VAT for a total of $73+ CAD to be sent to my friend's daughter's home. The kit will arrive next week and my friend will fly in for the hols and voila she will bring it back to Dubai (where her Brommie is) and then I will install the retro-kit next time I fly into Dubai.

This search for a part reminds me of getting Land Rover parts in Canada in the 1970s. Sheesh... No matter - case closed. Thanks all, and especially to Brucey.