Four prong freewheel tools

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Four prong freewheel tools

Post by alexnharvey »

Is the four prong system used on most current singlespeed freewheels the same, the suntour type? I would like to switch from a Shimano mx30 to a sturmey archer 1/8 freewheel and I am hoping the same tool fits both of them.
Is this unior tool correct https://www.bike24.com/p2159479.html

Also is an original suntour tool (NOS) with paying a little extra for, or a park tool one.
AndyA

Re: Four prong freewheel tools

Post by AndyA »

Nah, that's for certain Suntour multi-speed freewheels. You want this one
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=159506
Unior tools are good kit, as good as Park I think
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the small suntour one (which is about half the size of a BMX one) fits 'winner pro' and 'winner' multiple freewheels ,

manufactured from about 1985 onwards (confusingly this happened after they had discontinued the 'New Winner' model which ran from ~1977 to ~1984, which used a two-dog remover).

The larger unior one linked to above will fit most BMX freewheels. You can check this by comparing the measurements given with freewheel you intend to use. Some BMX freewheel removers have a sleeve that goes inside the freewheel body; these fit fewer different makes of freewheel.

Some BMW freewheels have only two slots and others have four smaller ones. However the pattern with four large slots is used by shimano and many of the other leading makers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Thanks both. Tool, SA freewheel and chain are en route.