The whole CO2 inflator thing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
100%JR

Re: The whole CO2 inflator thing

Post by 100%JR »

Brucey wrote:
100%JR wrote:
Brucey wrote:as for a CO2 inflator 'saving time'; does it? Does it really?

Yes it does.
Simple as that.
I'll be back on my bike and half a mile up the road by the time you've pumped your tyre up.

maybe. I've seen it go wrong for others as often as I have seen it go right.
When I get home I'm not going to be faffing about satisfying the needs of yet another needless parasite. Who is really 'saving time'?
cheers

Never seen one fail yet.I think the "fails" are more down to the user not using them correct;y :wink: :roll:
Each to their own but I'd rather save 5 mins out on the bike then have to spend 5 mins in the comfort of my garage re-inflating tyres any day.
Picture this:-
Descending..(Insert-Mountain-here)...I'll insert Helvellyn just for arguments sake,on the MTB on a foul wet and windy day.Puncture.Remove tube,replace...now spend 5+ mins pumping or use Co2 and be halfway down the Mountain without losing too much body temperature?
No Brainer :mrgreen:
Ditto on the road.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
mjr wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:My issue with CO2 is why do so many throw the empty canisters away on the side of the road.

Most don't. Most of the discards are from kids huffing nitrous from canisters that are a bit bigger and often different colours.

What colours do you see? The ones round here are all shiny steel. Might be just the local supplier though; I see a randomly selected online shop has grey too:
https://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/cream-w ... m-chargers

I didn't know people sniffed nitro, but it makes sense as I see the canisters usually by junctions which may mean they are sniffing while driving? the canisters are all silver.
and other than that I am lost for words
Pat
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

brucelee wrote:
Brucey wrote:Also, 117psi seems like quite a lot for a 28mm tyre; most folk would have less pressure in than that. What is your thinking here?

Speed....

Higher pressures don’t indefinitely return more speed even with Gatorskin tyres. But if you’re at all interested in speed, choose a tyre that rolls more easily than the Gatorskin. That has high puncture protection and therefore high rolling resistance.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Nitrous oxide is laughing gas, so yes, people have been sniffing it for laughs since at least the mid-19th century. It's also used to give commercial whipped cream its "whipped" quality, hence the "cream supplies". This does not mean that whipped cream gets you high! As for people sniffing it while driving, I dunno, the cannisters I see are all around clubbing areas.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

100%JR wrote:Each to their own but I'd rather save 5 mins out on the bike then have to spend 5 mins in the comfort of my garage re-inflating tyres any day.

Five minutes? It takes about one minute to inflate a tyre to useful pressure with my Zéfal HPX. It’s so easy and quick that I would not have bought a track pump if I had discovered this pump first.

And you’re saving less than that, since, from start to finish, CO2 inflation takes longer than you think – frankly, often more than a minute.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Samuel D wrote:
100%JR wrote:Each to their own but I'd rather save 5 mins out on the bike then have to spend 5 mins in the comfort of my garage re-inflating tyres any day.

Five minutes? It takes about one minute to inflate a tyre to useful pressure with my Zéfal HPX. It’s so easy and quick that I would not have bought a track pump if I had discovered this pump first.

And you’re saving less than that, since, from start to finish, CO2 inflation takes longer than you think – frankly, often more than a minute.

You’re obviously doing it wrong as my cheap Decathlon inflator takes seconds and I mean seconds to inflate a 23mm tyre!Never actually timed it but it’s less than 10.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Your cheap Decathlon inflator does not leap out of your saddle roll with a punctured cartridge already attached and instantly start discharging its contents into the tyre, nor does it tidy itself up when the job is done. I’ve seen the job done many times and it usually takes more than a minute.

No doubt a world record attempt would take less time, but since the job is never as rushed as people imagine when they buy these things, it’s not attempted in a mad rush.

My frame pump, on the other hand, is in action in seconds and back on the seat tube in fewer, allowing me to pump while you faff. And as I said, I only need a minute for that pumping.

Why does any of this matter? It’s a small part of the overall puncture repair time, which itself is no big deal. None of us are this rushed except in our imagination.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

MikeDee wrote:
Brucey wrote:I think that carrying CO2 and a pump makes very little sense; carrying CO2 and no pump makes no sense at all.

I think carrying and using both makes plenty of sense because it saves time and takes a lot less effort.

How much time does it really save? The savings compared to a good frame pump amount to seconds at best and don’t constitute a reasonable concern except in the most artificial circumstances.

Effort, similarly. What of it? I’m out riding a bicycle, so my goal is not to shirk every minimal effort.

I cannot take these arguments seriously. They’re signs of the loss of sense of proportion that increasingly bothers me about society.
mjr

Post by mjr »

100%JR wrote:
Brucey wrote:
100%JR wrote:Yes it does.
Simple as that.
I'll be back on my bike and half a mile up the road by the time you've pumped your tyre up.

maybe. I've seen it go wrong for others as often as I have seen it go right.
When I get home I'm not going to be faffing about satisfying the needs of yet another needless parasite. Who is really 'saving time'?
cheers

Never seen one fail yet.I think the "fails" are more down to the user not using them correct;y :wink: :roll:
Each to their own but I'd rather save 5 mins out on the bike then have to spend 5 mins in the comfort of my garage re-inflating tyres any day.
Picture this:-
Descending..(Insert-Mountain-here)...I'll insert Helvellyn just for arguments sake,on the MTB on a foul wet and windy day.Puncture.Remove tube,replace...now spend 5+ mins pumping or use Co2 and be halfway down the Mountain without losing too much body temperature?
No Brainer :mrgreen:
Ditto on the road.

I find pumping helps keep me warm and takes nothing like five minutes, even with a mini pump on a wide tyre.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'm firmly on the side of pumps, more effort but less waste. But I'm not bothered if others go for CO2. If it is an unreliable way to do things they will find that out in the fullness of time and rethink. If, on the other hand, it works reliably, fine. Either way, the only small complaint from my side is that we have enough waste in the world already without looking for new ways to generate it. But the quantities are tiny and recycling reduces the negative effects, so even that is more of a theoretical objection than a real one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

^^^^^
Yep. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Nitrous oxide is laughing gas.
As for people sniffing it while driving, I dunno, the cannisters I see are all around clubbing areas.

I get the impression that roadside canisters are the evidence being disposed of somewhere mum & dad can't see it.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

andrew_s wrote:
As for people sniffing it while driving, I dunno, the cannisters I see are all around clubbing areas.

I get the impression that roadside canisters are the evidence being disposed of somewhere mum & dad can't see it.

I expect this depends where you are. You're in rural Gloucestershire, right? Or are you in Gloucester itself? I live a few minutes walk from several big clubs in central Bristol, I think most of the ones I see have been taken before or after clubbing on a night out (and likely by students so mum and dad don't come into it). But I can quite imagine that in rural areas, kids are taking these at parties or in pub gardens or just out in the country lanes - some habits don't change, even if the drug of choice does.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
andrew_s wrote:

I expect this depends where you are. You're in rural Gloucestershire, right? Or are you in Gloucester itself? I live a few minutes walk from several big clubs in central Bristol, I think most of the ones I see have been taken before or after clubbing on a night out (and likely by students so mum and dad don't come into it). But I can quite imagine that in rural areas, kids are taking these at parties or in pub gardens or just out in the country lanes - some habits don't change, even if the drug of choice does.

Evo-stik in my day. Modern kids have no class.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I use 25 gramme canisters. There’s more than enough in them to get 100 psi +