Bike Workstands

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bgnukem

Re: Bike Workstands

Post by bgnukem »

Have used Tacx T3000s for about 22 years now. The fact that it supports the bottom bracket means the bike is higher which means it's easier to get to the transmission, etc. The stand also folds up quickly to a flat package when not required.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Ontherivet77 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:If you can find one, the sub £30 Lidl stand is brilliant. :D

I'll keep an eye out for one in the local store.

I am on my second one of these and I have to say I am not impressed. Yes comparatively cheap but it seems to be a dark art to get a bike secured either by the seat post or crossbar without it it moving or toppling over.

I am going to keep looking at this thread to determine what one I need to buy to replace it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

This, it's all you need. We store our tandem on it, so no issue with durability/strength.

ETA
Never had a falling-over issue, nor a clamping issue as reported above.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hondated wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:

I'll keep an eye out for one in the local store.

I am on my second one of these and I have to say I am not impressed. Yes comparatively cheap but it seems to be a dark art to get a bike secured either by the seat post or crossbar without it it moving or toppling over.

I am going to keep looking at this thread to determine what one I need to buy to replace it.

Maybe you have an older variation, the one I have is almost impossible to tip over and the clamp works brilliantly, a simplified version of the Park clamp. Of course that assumes you have it assembled correctly but it passes TUV tests and has a three year warranty.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I've been using one of these ones I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago and found it pretty good - https://amzn.to/2SJhsIY

Have used it with Steel, Alluminium, and Carbon frames with no real issue - the only bike that caused a little head scratching was my Brompton due to its unusual shape frame but after a little tinkering I soon found a set-up that works.

A similar model is available from Halfords for about £10 more.
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
hondated

Post by hondated »

CyclingGuy wrote:I've been using one of these ones I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago and found it pretty good - https://amzn.to/2SJhsIY

Have used it with Steel, Alluminium, and Carbon frames with no real issue - the only bike that caused a little head scratching was my Brompton due to its unusual shape frame but after a little tinkering I soon found a set-up that works.

This is my one CG. Just like the other one I had its the two top clamps that are a problem as they twist far too easily.
IMG_20181212_065821190.jpg

IMG_20181212_065837013.jpg

IMG_20181212_070523243.jpg
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

My Lidl one isn't like that
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hondated wrote:
CyclingGuy wrote:I've been using one of these ones I bought from Amazon a couple of years ago and found it pretty good - https://amzn.to/2SJhsIY

This is my one CG. Just like the other one I had its the two top clamps that are a problem as they twist far too easily.
IMG_20181212_065821190.jpg
IMG_20181212_065837013.jpg
IMG_20181212_070523243.jpg

Not surprised that tips, the legs are not extended far enough to be stable and the clamp bar is at its fullest extension.

My 2016 version has a better frame clamp and is lightly knurled on the bar to grip better to prevent twisting. I think there is a lot more leg adjustment too, it's tested to take up to 45kg, ie an E-bike (not that i'd want to lift one up that high!) You can identify the later versions as they have blue clamps not red.

Tip for avoiding frame damage and improving clamp grip - use a cheap microfiber cloth around the frame so it doesn't clamp directly onto the frame. Prevents damage and improves grip,
Last edited by foxyrider on 12 Dec 2018, 9:55am, edited 2 times in total.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Is anyone actually going to fond a Lidl one in stock at this time of year anyway??
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve used the LIDL stand for 5 or 6 years. Last night I folded it away and returned to 2 loops from the roof. No matter how tight I have those clamps I’ve never stopped it twisting.
You can have mine [emoji3]
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

arguably that a workstand twists fairly easily is no bad thing; it usually prevents you from swinging like a chimp on a spanner and putting too much load through the clamp. For this very reason quite a lot of professional mechanics I have met leave their workstand clamps slightly loose; this leaves them working like friction clutches (which doesn't really work with most cheap workstands) and also facilities a lightweight being repositioned in the stand easily.

If using a budget workstand with a fairly heavy bike, it is best if it is used in such a way as the bike is balanced in the workstand; this means it is less likely to move around. In practice with most bikes this means that you can clamp firmly on the seat pin and have the bike at a good angle provided the front wheel is out. This allows everything on the bike to be set up, cleaned and checked apart from the front brake and front mudguard clearance.

I quite like working out of doors using a folding workstand on the occasional nice sunny day. Even a cheap workstand is OK for this.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~