Looking for a low profile M5 20mm stainless steel bolt

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Farrina

Looking for a low profile M5 20mm stainless steel bolt

Post by Farrina »

Slightly tenuous cycling connection here, but you are a knowledgeable bunch, so may be able to help ….

I am attempting to mount a Fly6CE camera to a custom mount by way of the official carrier mount – see https://cycliq.com/product/fly6-ce601-rear-pannier-mount/

Note I am using the bolt holes located within the circle not those on the tabs (which have been removed).

Unfortunately the provided machine bolts (15mm) are not long enough for my purposes and I have been attempting to source some longer 20mm bolts (preferably stainless steel).

As will be apparent from the photograph below, the provided bolts have low profile heads (6.5mm wide) and the only bolts I can source do not (9mm wide) see here https://www.kayfast.co.uk/view-product/POZI-COUNTERSUNK-MACHINE-SCREW-DIN-965Z-A2-ST-ST

I have a friend with access to a small lathe but he has suggested that the bolts I have sourced may be hardened

Size wise I need a M5 x 20mm

Can anyone suggest a possible UK based online source ?
Attachments
IMG_0573.JPG
rjb

Re: Looking for a low profile M5 20mm stainless steel bolt

Post by rjb »

Possible solution is to grind the excess head off with a bench grinder. I would chuck up the bolt in an electric drill then with it running hold the head against a running bench grinder. Should only be a few minutes work if you can hold it steady. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

easy job to modify a standard screw. Suggested method as per above but put the electric drill in a bench vice, and use an angle grinder on the spinning screw. Much faster cutting than a bench grinder, esp on stainless.

Once you have ground the head down, you will usually need to cut a slot in the head to give it some kind of drive; whatever was there to start with will probably be completely gone.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Are the inner holes for countersunk? I notice the outer ones on the 'ears' are for a pan head. It's difficult (for me anyway) to see from the photo if the inner holes are also for pan head. I guess (as countersunk have been provided) that they are for countersunk - my concern is that if countersunk are used where there isn't the tapered countersink, they will quickly split the plastic. Otherwise do as the previous poster has suggested!