hollow tech...low chainrings for touring?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
matata

hollow tech...low chainrings for touring?

Post by matata »

I tour with 46/36/24 front chain rings....They get me home on my tired legs with full panniers up a hill. I use the old style bottom bracket cartridge style, which is heavy but reliable. I like the idea of a hollow tech style bottom bracket/bb60. Can anyone think of a front chainring set up close to what I'm used to in hollow tech/bb60 style.Shimano do the 5700 triple 50/38/30. Any suggestions would be much appreciated Nik
NetworkMan

Re: hollow tech...low chainrings for touring?

Post by NetworkMan »

Yes, I think you can use 48/38/24 on a 130/74 mm chainset which AFAIK is available in Shmano 105 HT2 but possibly soon to go obsolete. I looked into it myself but decided that there was no gain apart a saving of about 200 g. The downside is the lack of durability of course.

Out of curiosity, why do want to change? As mentioned before on here 200g will be undetectable on a loaded touring bike, and almost certainly undetectable on an unladen one.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The Shimano 5703 comes with 50/39/30 chainrings. BCD is 130/74.
The 74 allows down to 24T and the 130 allows down to 38 but hardly worth changing that.
I did fit a 28T and a 26T granny ring but the chain didn't want to change sweetly onto these for some reason. The chain would change down O.K. but then would ride on top of the teeth for some reason. These rings were 8 speed so that may have been a factor.
I ended up with the original 30T and used cassettes with 32T and 34T large cogs.
As I can get up most hills with the 30T granny I haven't bothered to pursue a smaller ring yet.

The 5703 is now becoming rare and you may have trouble in sourcing one with the required crank length.
Last edited by cycleruk on 12 Dec 2018, 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

matata wrote:I tour with 46/36/24 front chain rings....They get me home on my tired legs with full panniers up a hill. I use the old style bottom bracket cartridge style, which is heavy but reliable. I like the idea of a hollow tech style bottom bracket/bb60. Can anyone think of a front chainring set up close to what I'm used to in hollow tech/bb60 style.Shimano do the 5700 triple 50/38/30. Any suggestions would be much appreciated Nik
Why?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
slowster

Post by slowster »

matata wrote: I use the old style bottom bracket cartridge style, which is heavy but reliable.

When I swapped an FSA 46/36 chainset with external bottom bracket for a Spa 40/24 Super Compact Double (which obviously has smaller and therefore lighter chainrings, but which also has an extra chainring to act as a chainguard) and Shimano UN55 bottom bracket, the combined weight of the latter was less than 100g more than the former.

I agree that for touring such weight differences are fairly negligible, and for me reliability would take precedence.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Check out FSA BB386. 30mm HT style cranksets that will fit into regular BSA threaded BB shells.
I should coco.
matata

Post by matata »

I was just getting a little carried away....Christmas! I think i'll stick to my regular BB. My lad says he can't remember the last time he saw me get off the saddle climbing a hill so I reckon 200grm is the least of my problems! Ta for the advice Nik