Winter bike gloves

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
alexnharvey

Re: Winter bike gloves

Post by alexnharvey »

I use bar mitts/ pogies. £12. So warm that I haven't needed gloves yet this year. The only downsides are that they restrict the hand positions a little and they can get a bit clammy. I'm considering adding small vents for some airflow.
gazza1286

Post by gazza1286 »

Got these lobsters last winter and think they're great. Not too bulky and gear changing isn't a problem.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2657186605
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Once it goes below 5c its ski mittens for me, nothing else keeps my fingers warm
Pat
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

What sort of shifters do you have?

Reason I ask is my old Thinsulate leather-palm, whte palm with yellow back, warm and toasty Winter gloves were fine with downtube shifters, but with the Claris brifters (dropped-bar) I am now using they can make gearchages awkward. Might be a consideration for you?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mjr

Post by mjr »

rmurphy195 wrote:What sort of shifters do you have?

Reason I ask is my old Thinsulate leather-palm, whte palm with yellow back, warm and toasty Winter gloves were fine with downtube shifters, but with the Claris brifters (dropped-bar) I am now using they can make gearchages awkward. Might be a consideration for you?

Brifters always make gear changes awkward. The main thing they have going for them is that you can change gear while covering the brakes in a pack/peloton, but it's another thing where race-style dominating is not great for more mainstream riding.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mjr wrote:Brifters always make gear changes awkward. The main thing they have going for them is that you can change gear while covering the brakes in a pack/peloton, but it's another thing where race-style dominating is not great for more mainstream riding.

Must be a personal preference thing.

I've just cycled home in crab claw mitts with extra liner gloves. Not the most dexterous of hand wear, to put it mildly, but no problem at all for gear changes (105 brifters in my case).
zenitb

Just pick the glove with most branding ... :-)

Post by zenitb »

Simply count the number of little labels that come with the glove.. now with "Breathable and waterproof HIPORA glove insert", "Thinsulate ISOLANT", "Super 3D Structure", "Reactive Molecules", "Shimano Fusion Concept" in addition to old favorites like "Waterproof" and "Hi-viz series" how could you possibly go wrong with this one ?? :-)

On a more serious note this Shimano glove works ok with Shimano Road STI shifters (105 in my case) whereas my thicker Specialized Radiant gloves result in clumsy gear changes. Maybe "Shimano Total Integration" means something after all. Oh and they are pretty waterproof and comfortable .. I use them a lot for commuting in the cold and wet.
Attachments
20180125_221532(2).jpg
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm really impressed with my Hipora gloves.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom