Raleigh Twenty Folder - worth rescuing?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bgnukem

Raleigh Twenty Folder - worth rescuing?

Post by bgnukem »

In the bike sheds at work there's an old Raleigh Twenty folding bike in a quite nice light metallic green colour. Looks very original, with matching white grips, white saddle, whitewall tyres and pump, Sturmey rear hub, bottle dynamo and rear rack. It's all in pretty good nick though the rear caliper brake seems to be seized.

It's been untouched and unmoved for months and I suspect will disappear over Christmas as there will be a security sweep to remove abandoned bikes and bike locks during the holiday.

This type of bike would be no use to me (I'm 6'5) but seems a shame for a rare survivor of the 1970s to be scrapped given it's good condition. I gather from other threads on here there are various technical issues with the 20 including headset bush, non-standard wheel/tyre size and bottom bracket shell width, etc. but would there be any point rescuing the bike or could anyone on here use such a machine? I'd say with a bit of light recomissioning and maybe a service it could be used as-is.

I'm based in Yeovil, Somerset.

Cheers,

Ben
mmcnay

Re: Raleigh Twenty Folder - worth rescuing?

Post by mmcnay »

I've got one. It's great for local journeys, in the city, and when cycling with my seven year old. (I can't go fast on it.)
I swapped the sprocket for a larger one, and it is much nicer to use.
The brakes aren't that good, but I don't go fast in it anyway. There's a really handy site https://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/auth/?next=
with hints and tips.
The folding models are more sought after, so might be worth saving. They're definitely a good sturdy bike, and unattractive to thieves, so marvellous for leaving outside shops etc - and they are good mules for the shopping.
I did buy mine with the view to doing it up, replacing BB etc and going cotterless - but I can't be bothered. I just keep it oiled and it's trundeling on nicely.
I'll probably sell it to a student at some point.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Definitely worth saving, but does it still belong to someone, can you just take it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Look what Sheldon did with his definitely worth saving. Lots about them here https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Certainly worth saving. Not a 20 but a Kingpin, it is my round town hack.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120037&p=1206387&hilit=kingpin#p1206387
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Definitely worth saving, but does it still belong to someone, can you just take it?

Good question.
Nu-Fogey
rjb

Post by rjb »

Stick a notice on it indicating if it is not collected within a set time scale it will be removed. Leave your contact details on the notice. You could then donate it to a bike recycling scheme. I know there is one in Taunton with a branch in Bridgwater. :wink:
http://on-your-bike.org
Speak to the grounds maintenance dept first.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Cheers for the replies.

Seems to have been abandoned but will stick a note on it requesting it isn't removed and then next year will put a note on asking if no longer required.

Too small for me but would be a shame for it to get scrapped if a charity would accept it.

Rare to see a bike suitably equipped (mudguards, rack, hub gear, chain guard, dynamo for utility riding these days!
TooManyBikes

Post by TooManyBikes »

I remember seeing a very original looking Raleigh 20 in pretty decent nick in a derelict former RAF building I was taking photos and nosing around in, and although of no real use to me, regret not saving it from being wrecked by chavs who tend to trash these derelict sites, apart from flat tyres and the chain being missing it looked to be in pretty good condition and ideal for passing on to someone short commutes or shop trips, narrowboat use etc.
My name is Michael, And I have too many bikes.