Limit screw size

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JVB

Limit screw size

Post by JVB »

Does anyone know the size/specification of the limit screws on the Campagnolo Super Record rear derailleur (1992, version 2)? One of them is missing on an item I’be just acquired.
Thanks
Valbrona

Re: Limit screw size

Post by Valbrona »

I would expect these to be still available as a spare part.

Condor Cycles
Mercian Cycles
UK Campagnolo Service Centre

But sometimes they are missing from a second hand derailleur you have bought because the threads (in the derailleur) have been damaged.
I should coco.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Looking at my Chorus rear mech dated 2005, they are M4 with a 13mm thread. You also need the spring to stop it unscrewing. The screw head will take flat or cross-head screwdrivers.

From what I remember of my old SR mech, the screws are the same as now. Could be wrong, but I reckon they more than likely the same.
IMG_0026.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

is there any such thing as a super record RD in 1992? IIRC the super record name was not used at that time, there is just 'record'.

1982 SR RD would look more like this
this is pretty much the last Super Record RD before the name was resurrected in more recent times.

I have a 1994 chorus mech that is similar to the 1992 record model. It uses M4 x 0.7 threaded stop screws. The low gear one is ~12-13mm thread length and the high gear one is 9-10mm threaded. If your high gear one is missing then it can be replaced by the B tension screw, if you want the screw heads to match exactly and you can't get a suitable replacement elsewhere.

Note that if the screw is missing then so will the spring be. You can use threadlock or PTFE tape instead of the spring (assuming that the female thread is in good condition), and if you have a spring missing best if it is missing from the high gear stop screw.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JVB

Post by JVB »

Thank you Valbrona, Mick and Brucey. I think I may have looked at the Campag with Shimano eyes.
This is my mech
Limit Screws 3.jpg

This is my interpretation
Limit Screws 1.jpg

Limit Screws 2.jpg

Did Campag have an adjustment like the Shimano "B-screw"? If so where is it?
I named it a 1992 Super Record on the basis of the Velobase archives and the fact that it came of a 1992 Paul Donohue frame which I am restoring.

Thanks again, you are so generous with your help.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it is a 1984 mech (just like the one I pictured). The mech just has a cable stop at the arrowed position, i.e. there is nothing missing.

There is no 'B' tension screw on this model RD.

BTW yours won't work very well as it is; someone has assembled it wrongly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JVB

Post by JVB »

Ah Brucey, the Christmas quiz. Is it that the cage plate fitted upside down?
I absolve myself because if there are 2 ways of attaching something there is a 50% probability of choosing the wrong way.
Close inspection and intelligent thought would have improved my chances but there you go - the impulsive fool can't wait.
Thanks very much again.