Tubeless Tyres - well impressed!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dave W

Tubeless Tyres - well impressed!

Post by Dave W »

Plucked up the courage (and scraped together funds) to fit these to my Gravel bike. Two punctures today, one where I pulled a thorn out, the other a shard of flint. Both times a short spurt of sealant came out then rapidly sealed the hole. Didn’t even stop riding on the second one just kept riding. Sometimes new ideas really do work and I’m pleasantly surprised with this one.
Canuk

Re: Tubeless Tyres - well impressed!

Post by Canuk »

+1 to tubeless. Another year or so and it'll be an industry standard.
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Maybe, but you need the correct rims, tyres, valves and sealant. If you don’t have them already it’s a hefty price to pay. Which is the reason I’ve never bothered before.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Dave W wrote:Plucked up the courage (and scraped together funds) to fit these to my Gravel bike. Two punctures today, one where I pulled a thorn out, the other a shard of flint. Both times a short spurt of sealant came out then rapidly sealed the hole. Didn’t even stop riding on the second one just kept riding. Sometimes new ideas really do work and I’m pleasantly surprised with this one.

What tyres, rims, valve, rim strip and sealant did you use?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Dave W wrote:Plucked up the courage (and scraped together funds) to fit these to my Gravel bike. Two punctures today, one where I pulled a thorn out, the other a shard of flint. Both times a short spurt of sealant came out then rapidly sealed the hole. Didn’t even stop riding on the second one just kept riding. Sometimes new ideas really do work and I’m pleasantly surprised with this one.

What tyres do you have? They seem quite puncture prone.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I don't think I'll go tubless but I'm considering using this stuff in the tube:- https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... bFEALw_wcB
I've only one reservation,will affect ride quality of 40mm+ supple tyres :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Canuk wrote:+1 to tubeless. Another year or so and it'll be an industry standard.

Maybe the industry standard for high end bikers in the Western world, but I doubt they will become the standard in less developed countries where millions regularly cycle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yep, Wait to the beads don’t seal anymore!
Then it’s a new tire and how much.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Give it time :lol: Sealant filled tubes are a better idea in my experience. Most of the advantages of tubeless ( from a puncture prevention point of view) without the faff or mess if it goes wrong.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Give it time :lol: Sealant filled tubes are a better idea in my experience. Most of the advantages of tubeless ( from a puncture prevention point of view) without the faff or mess if it goes wrong.

That's my logic on it,but I'm still concerned about ride quality.I may give it a try anyway and see.
W H Auden
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

reohn2 wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Give it time :lol: Sealant filled tubes are a better idea in my experience. Most of the advantages of tubeless ( from a puncture prevention point of view) without the faff or mess if it goes wrong.

That's my logic on it,but I'm still concerned about ride quality.I may give it a try anyway and see.

The ride quality is going to be slightly compromised, but at this time of the year, most people are going slower and being more cautious anyway, so it’s not going to be that noticeable.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I may try it in the rear on one bike first and see how it goes.
W H Auden
fossala

Post by fossala »

I've tried it on MTB's, good idea and works well. Saves a lot of weight on my fat bike as the tubes are heavier than a road tyre. On my road bikes though I'll stick with tubes, latex on my nice bikes, butyl on my "beaters".
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Schwalbe G- one speed 40mm on 650b. Running pressures 50lb in the front and 55lb in the rear. Ride very well on the road and seem very supple. Yes, it would appear they are a little puncture prone. Having said that they are trimming the hawthorn through the lanes and there’s water and fine gravel everywhere.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

note that with tubeless tyres the forces retaining the tyre (in particular the effect of any hook bead on the rim) are completely different. This isn't a simple matter at all, but the bottom line is that tubeless tyres have to be

a) a much tighter fit on the bead seats than tubed tyres can be and/or
b) have to have much stiffer (i.e. less stretchy lengthwise, they can still fold) beads.

The kind of tyres that work well on hook bead rims with tubes in (which can have fairly stretchy beads and/or be a slack fit on the rim such that they can be removed easily without using tyre levers in many cases) are simply not suitable for tubeless use.

I am of the view that it is of primary benefit to those who insist on riding on relatively flimsy tyres when conditions would normally suggest the use of more robust ones.

In a nutshell, with tubeless if it works as intended/as normal you are less likely get a flat tyre on the road but if you do need to disturb the tyre on the rim or fit a new one, it takes much longer, is more difficult and is a bit more hit and miss. To be ready for any eventuality you need to either carry a lot of kit with you (more than with a tubed setup) and have lots of time to spare and/or be prepared to 'phone home' in the event of trouble. To some extent the die is cast when you buy your wheels; if 'tubeless compatible' or even 'tubeless ready' the rims are usually a tighter fit with any tyre, and the tyre may be retained by lips in the rim well so that unseating the tyre is much more difficult than normal.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~