Quick link: time to replace?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Thornyone

Quick link: time to replace?

Post by Thornyone »

I use 2 SRAM PC 971 9 speed chains, and swap over about every 250-300 miles. The chains are fitted with the removeable link which makes removal/reconnection easy. However, compared with initial use, the links now seem very easy to open and re-close. My chain should have another 2,000 miles or so life left.

My questions are:
1) should I be concerned that the links aren’t as “positive” at locking as they were?
2) if it is advisable to replace the links, would the slight amount of chain “stretch” (not enough to need replacement yet) cause any issues with a new link.

I know that the chain link is held closed by tension on the chain but I worry (unnecessarily?) that this tiny component seems to have a lot of work to do.

Dave :)
Eyebrox

Re: Quick link: time to replace?

Post by Eyebrox »

The chain itself will have worn but I reckon the link is made of sterner stuff. Replacing the powerlink therefore will not change the slackness at the join. I suggest you keep going until you replace the chain and carry spare links, zip tied together to lessen the chance of losing one on a grass verge. The Park Tools self sticking patch kit includes a handy slot for keeping spare links in. You won't lose them among tools in a saddle pack.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Chains don't stretch, the rollers and pins wear, but I think if the lack of wear on the pins on a new quick link was an issue then the chain would be well beyond the point at which it needs renewing. However SRAM Powerlinks are supposed to be single use only and I have found them to become loose if reused. KMC claim their quick links to be reusable.

Ian

P.S. Happy New Year!
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
...swap over about every 250-300 miles

Unless you're permanently in some gritty awfulness that seems a bit too frequent, especially if it's dry throughout the summer. If connection feels easier then it is wearing, I doubt that they're meant to be changed every 6-10 rides even if it's a reusable link
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

iandusud wrote:SRAM Powerlinks are supposed to be single use only
Powerlink (8 and 9 speed) are multiuse, Powerlock (10 and 11 speed) are single use.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that there were two types of link, and that those designed for very narrow chains were meant to be closed and then not re-opened, whilst those made for wider chains (e.g. 9 speed) were not single use?
I think I’ll try swapping the chains less frequently (every 500 miles?). Would a KMC link work with my SRAM PC971? Also, I always carry a chain tool with me, so presumably I’d be O.K. to ditch a quick link, should it break out on the road, and simply shorten the chain by a link or two in an emergency?

Dave
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Thanks tatanab, your reply just crossed with mine. I thought I’d read that somewhere.

Dave
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Thornyone wrote:Tpresumably I’d be O.K. to ditch a quick link, should it break out on the road, and simply shorten the chain by a link or two in an emergency?

No.
This is fine up to and including 8 speed chains. After that, 9 and above, the chains are made narrower by peening over the rivets. Hence they cannot be replaced. I suppose you might in an emergency repair to get you home a short way, but not reliably. I use Wipperman links because I appreciate the ease with which they can be separated. I have a number of machines with 8 and 10 speed, even one on 1/8th, so rather than carry a number of links in my tool kit I keep the appropriate link inside the handlebar plug on each machine.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It's funny, I rejoined many 9 speed chains with the original pins without incident before I learned you weren't supposed to.

If I had a chain tool and needed to make a repair in the roadside I'd certainly rejoin a chain of any narrowness to get me home. The narrower the chain, the more delicately I would treat it whilst riding. I wouldn't be honking up hills on a ten speed so joined, or mashing the gear changes. In fact one might not get out of the saddle at all in case it broke. Walking home would seem to me to be overly cautious.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Some KMC powerlinks are single use but most are reusable, you'd need to check. I've used KMC links for over 10000 miles without changing them.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Thornyone wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that there were two types of link, and that those designed for very narrow chains were meant to be closed and then not re-opened, whilst those made for wider chains (e.g. 9 speed) were not single use?
I think I’ll try swapping the chains less frequently (every 500 miles?). Would a KMC link work with my SRAM PC971? Also, I always carry a chain tool with me, so presumably I’d be O.K. to ditch a quick link, should it break out on the road, and simply shorten the chain by a link or two in an emergency?

Dave

Why not just carry a spare quick link, then if the chain link breaks you can just replace similarly if it’s a different link you use the chain breaker to remove the broken link and replace with the spare quick link.
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

if you are using SRAM chain then in some types you could have

Powerlink = reusable

or

Powerlock = non-reusable

if they get too sloppy then they can come undone accidentally. If you carry a spare link (a good idea anyway) then this need not be a great worry to you.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

tatanab wrote:
iandusud wrote:SRAM Powerlinks are supposed to be single use only
Powerlink (8 and 9 speed) are multiuse, Powerlock (10 and 11 speed) are single use.

Thank you for pointing that out, I wasn't aware of the distinction. I have however recently replaced a Powerlink on an 8 speed Sram chain because it was so loose after only one use!

Ian
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Thanks for the replies. I can see a (two units) SRAM link for sale on Amazon which is for 9 speed, but which the seller describes as “Powerlock”. I’m assuming that it is actually a direct replacement for the link supplied with the PC971 chain, and therefore actually a “link”, not a “lock”, and have ordered it.

Dave.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bad assumption: I suggest you read my earlier post again. You almost certainly have just ordered a non-reusable SRAM QL.

These are called 'powerlock'.

I would gather from your earlier posts that this is not what you wanted.

You can get both Powerlock and Powerlink in 8s and 9s, eg

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains-spares/?brand=sram

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~