rim protrusion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thelawnet

rim protrusion

Postby thelawnet » 2 Jan 2019, 3:04pm

Any ideas what is going on here? Seems to be causing punctures/needs fixing somehow.

iandriver

Re: rim protrusion

Postby iandriver » 2 Jan 2019, 3:24pm

The white band is a rim tape, to cover the spoke holes so they don't cause punctures. Lift the edge of it, you may need to slide something like a small flat bladed screwdriver under gently, and have a look and see what it is.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

thelawnet

Postby thelawnet » 2 Jan 2019, 4:56pm

it was a loose piece of shrapnel, I guess from when the rim was drilled

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 2 Jan 2019, 7:31pm

not uncommon to find swarf rattling round inside a rim, less common that it should poke through the rim tape like that!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » 8 Jan 2019, 6:21pm

Yes Brucey, been there.

In 2006 I had a custom built tourer built in Canada for a trip along the "Savannah Way" in N. Australia. After starting from Cairns, I was getting flats on my rear tyre - and sometimes twice a day. Tyre pressure was good, but ...

After a week or fixing tubes, I saw there was a "burr" at a spoke hole that was working it's way through the rim tape. Some sandpaper removed the burr, BUT I then made a more robust rim tape by cutting a patched and re-patched (and re-patched) tube, and made it short enough to act as a "tape" when I glued the ends. It solved the issue. That hand-built "tape" has stood the test of time: three more tours of Australia, including Perth to Adelaide to Sydney ...

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 9 Jan 2019, 9:55pm

I had a series of punctures on one new bike that turned out to be the very thick plastic sharp-edged rim tape... :roll:
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

MarcusT

Postby MarcusT » 11 Jan 2019, 5:31am

I used a rim tape that was rated for 85 psi, then filled the tyre to 100 psi. Even though the tape was not punctured, it still caused a flat. :?
I wish it were simple as riding a bike