Ergon GE1 or GP1 for long on road cycling?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pandorapi

Ergon GE1 or GP1 for long on road cycling?

Post by pandorapi »

Hello everyone! I have a vintage bike I've been slowly fixing up for long Sunday rides (70km and up) and now for touring also. I have signed up for my first tour this May!

My bike currently has old school riser handlebars which I am not prepared to change yet as I am generally most comfortable with this type of handlebar. But I do need to change the grips as the current original grips are very hard and unforgiving. I have heard a lot of good reviews for Ergon grips, and they look quite good. However I am undecided on which ones to get. My first gut feeling is to choose the GE1 because of their simplicity - and I like simple things - and the fact they look the best and will spoil the vintage look of my bike the least. However Ergon is selling the GP1 as their touring grips. Not only am I not keen on the way they look, I have never tried wide grips like this before and the price is quite steep to try it out and see if I like it.

Has anyone tried either of these grips and has a review or recommendation? I should note that I will not be going on a tour longer than 7 days, we are not planning on going very fast or off road and there will be more hills rather than mountains as we are going to Wales.

IMG_1253.jpg
cycle tramp

Re: Ergon GE1 or GP1 for long on road cycling?

Post by cycle tramp »

Oh, nice bars. Whenever i see a pair of handlebars like that i think about getting some in steel for myself. lt must be at least 6 or maybe 7 years since i started to use my GP2 - i adopted them after riding my Dahon TR which had them fitted as standard. I really like the way that the grip supports your whole hand, including the palm. I really rate the grips and even bought my Dad a pair for his birthday.
If you check out the website, https://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com (under 'touring bikes') you'll find you won't be the only person looking to marry some swept back riser handlebars with some grips which support your hand.
pandorapi

Post by pandorapi »

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check out the link. While I like the look of drop down handlebars, the low bend doesn't suit me, so I go for this kind instead.
pwa

Post by pwa »

GP1s are fine, as are the ones with long bar extensions. But I find neither as comfortable on long rides as the hood (brake top) position on drop bars. That's my preference, and I don't use the low down position on those bars much.