Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
amediasatex
Posts: 629
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby amediasatex » 7 Jan 2019, 12:50pm

peetee wrote:Fair enough, the handlebar stem 'looks' over extended but the seat post on the blue bike definitely shows the minimum insertion engraving.


That would be poor form, got a link to which one as I can't seem to see it?

peetee
Posts: 1097
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby peetee » 7 Jan 2019, 12:51pm

Tried to, but can't work out how to do it on this device. It's the photo of the seat cluster of the blue roadini
Last edited by peetee on 7 Jan 2019, 12:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 2310
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby Bmblbzzz » 7 Jan 2019, 12:52pm

531colin wrote:...
I like the way they have drilled the fork crown, its a way to get maximum clearance out of dual pivot sidepulls. But dual pivot sidepulls is something to avoid if you want big tyres...their rear brake bridge is only a couple of millimetres higher than ours on the Audax...limited by the brakes.
...

Could you describe what's special or different about the way they've drilled the fork crown? I can't make it out from the photos. Thanks!

amediasatex
Posts: 629
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby amediasatex » 7 Jan 2019, 12:54pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:
531colin wrote:...
I like the way they have drilled the fork crown, its a way to get maximum clearance out of dual pivot sidepulls. But dual pivot sidepulls is something to avoid if you want big tyres...their rear brake bridge is only a couple of millimetres higher than ours on the Audax...limited by the brakes.
...

Could you describe what's special or different about the way they've drilled the fork crown? I can't make it out from the photos. Thanks!


https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadini

Info there ^
basically the hole is drilled as low as possible in the crown to give the maximum tyre clearance. It's a not a Rivendell specific thing as I have seen similar on other forks, but the norm is a more symmetric setup, or if not symmetric, at least more material under the brake hole.

amediasatex
Posts: 629
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby amediasatex » 7 Jan 2019, 12:57pm

peetee wrote:Tried to, but can't work out how to do it on this device. It's the photo of the seat cluster of the blue roadini


Ah, think I found it

Image

That is poor form for a marketing shot, should have put a little more care in that to let that one out onto the site. I have a bit of faith that it was not left that way as in the whole bike shot (below) the post is nowhere near full extension.

Image

Bmblbzzz
Posts: 2310
Joined: 18 May 2012, 7:56pm
Location: From here to there.

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby Bmblbzzz » 7 Jan 2019, 1:03pm

amediasatex wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:
531colin wrote:...
I like the way they have drilled the fork crown, its a way to get maximum clearance out of dual pivot sidepulls. But dual pivot sidepulls is something to avoid if you want big tyres...their rear brake bridge is only a couple of millimetres higher than ours on the Audax...limited by the brakes.
...

Could you describe what's special or different about the way they've drilled the fork crown? I can't make it out from the photos. Thanks!


https://www.rivbike.com/products/roadini

Info there ^
basically the hole is drilled as low as possible in the crown to give the maximum tyre clearance. It's a not a Rivendell specific thing as I have seen similar on other forks, but the norm is a more symmetric setup, or if not symmetric, at least more material under the brake hole.

Cheers, spotted it now! With 'reinforcing' rim.

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12324
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby 531colin » 7 Jan 2019, 2:41pm

Samuel D wrote:………..I like the simple elegance of dead straight, crimp-free chain and seatstays, but no-one seems to do those. Have you any idea what tyre size those would limit me to if I got a custom builder to make me something? I’d go with long stays if that helped clearance (and probably anyway). I use 172.5 mm cranks that should clear most stays.

I thought I had such a frame knocking around doing nothing.....the truth of the matter is that my recollection was wrong. The stays are straight, but quite heavily dented https://www.flickr.com/photos/52358536@N06/39682566243/in/dateposted-public/
That tyre is nominally 35mm, actually closer to 36mm. The stays are 445mm.
I reckon with a regular 18mm oval stay un-dented, you would get 45mm clearance for a tyre....if the stays were brought right to the edge of the BB shell, I guess you might get a bit more clearance.
If anybody is worried about their eyesight, I should point out that is an Orbit frame with offset back end; the back wheel follows the front wheel exactly, but it isn't exactly central between the stays....the stays and hub are offset, the rim is central.
…..Free to anybody who wants to pick it up, its surplus to requirements, I can't see myself building it up again.

User avatar
531colin
Posts: 12324
Joined: 4 Dec 2009, 6:56pm
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby 531colin » 7 Jan 2019, 3:02pm

All these ultra-long drop brakes are very interesting, but the bike is already designed and in production.
The brake bridge is 366mm from the rear axle, so you can't use the extra drop. (unless you vary the wheel size)

amediasatex
Posts: 629
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby amediasatex » 7 Jan 2019, 3:08pm

It's still useful info for anyone thinking about a custom build or converting an older 27in frame to 700c (or 700c to 650B) to gain room for bigger tyres, just pointing out that there are alternatives t the 'standard' 49mm drop and 57mm drop brakes from Shimano and the other big players. Canti, centre-pull, DP sidepull, SP sidepull, disc, whatever floats your boat :-)

MikeDee
Posts: 555
Joined: 11 Dec 2014, 8:36pm

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby MikeDee » 7 Jan 2019, 3:30pm

Brucey wrote:
MikeDee wrote:The 1" threaded headset would keep me from buying that bike. The selection of stems and modern handlebars is minimal these days. I had to go to a quill adapter to get a decent handlebar that I liked....


plenty out there if you look.

I notice that you described your chosen handlebars as 'modern' and that 'you like them' which suggests that in the first place you are worried about how they look and in the second you are not really sure about what is really good about them. The primary thing about handlebars is that they are of a shape that allows you to achieve a desired range of riding positions. IME having squished tubes, funny bends and odd lumps sticking out is not fundamental to this, even if it seems to be an intrinsic feature of most 'modern' handlebars.

Funny how we managed without handlebars that looked like kicked in dustbins for about a century or so..... :roll:




Wrong... Find me a handlebar with a 26mm clamp diameter where the bars can be adjusted flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands. The Soma Hwy. 1 bar was the closest to that criteria but didn't have the flat section in the drops.

amediasatex
Posts: 629
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby amediasatex » 7 Jan 2019, 4:56pm

MikeDee wrote:
Brucey wrote:
MikeDee wrote:The 1" threaded headset would keep me from buying that bike. The selection of stems and modern handlebars is minimal these days. I had to go to a quill adapter to get a decent handlebar that I liked....


plenty out there if you look.

I notice that you described your chosen handlebars as 'modern' and that 'you like them' which suggests that in the first place you are worried about how they look and in the second you are not really sure about what is really good about them. The primary thing about handlebars is that they are of a shape that allows you to achieve a desired range of riding positions. IME having squished tubes, funny bends and odd lumps sticking out is not fundamental to this, even if it seems to be an intrinsic feature of most 'modern' handlebars.

Funny how we managed without handlebars that looked like kicked in dustbins for about a century or so..... :roll:




Wrong... Find me a handlebar with a 26mm clamp diameter where the bars can be adjusted flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands. The Soma Hwy. 1 bar was the closest to that criteria but didn't have the flat section in the drops.


Not 100% sure what you mean as hard to tell with the way people describe different bits but do you mean with tops and bottom section of drops parallel? Like the VO Grand Cru bars (and Compass Maes in 25.4)?

Pic of VO bars fitted below with what I would call 'flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands', but please clarify if I have the wrong end of the descriptive stick! If I have then can you post a pic of the shape you do mean?

Image
Image

MikeDee
Posts: 555
Joined: 11 Dec 2014, 8:36pm

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby MikeDee » 7 Jan 2019, 5:52pm

amediasatex wrote:
MikeDee wrote:
Brucey wrote:
plenty out there if you look.

I notice that you described your chosen handlebars as 'modern' and that 'you like them' which suggests that in the first place you are worried about how they look and in the second you are not really sure about what is really good about them. The primary thing about handlebars is that they are of a shape that allows you to achieve a desired range of riding positions. IME having squished tubes, funny bends and odd lumps sticking out is not fundamental to this, even if it seems to be an intrinsic feature of most 'modern' handlebars.

Funny how we managed without handlebars that looked like kicked in dustbins for about a century or so..... :roll:




Wrong... Find me a handlebar with a 26mm clamp diameter where the bars can be adjusted flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands. The Soma Hwy. 1 bar was the closest to that criteria but didn't have the flat section in the drops.


Not 100% sure what you mean as hard to tell with the way people describe different bits but do you mean with tops and bottom section of drops parallel? Like the VO Grand Cru bars (and Compass Maes in 25.4)?

Pic of VO bars fitted below with what I would call 'flat to the lever hoods and that have a flat section in the drops for your hands', but please clarify if I have the wrong end of the descriptive stick! If I have then can you post a pic of the shape you do mean?

Image
Image


No, like this bar Image

amediasatex
Posts: 629
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby amediasatex » 7 Jan 2019, 5:53pm

Ah gotcha, the squared bends variety or ergo bars. The Deda piega comes in a variant very similar to that and 26.0 IIRC

Image

MikeDee
Posts: 555
Joined: 11 Dec 2014, 8:36pm

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby MikeDee » 7 Jan 2019, 6:07pm

amediasatex wrote:Ah gotcha, the squared bends variety or ergo bars. The Deda piega comes in a variant very similar to that and 26.0 IIRC

Image


That may work, but I forgot to mention that I prefer a compact bar. These are standard drop and reach.

Brucey
Posts: 32765
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Grant Petersen’s Rivendell Roadini

Postby Brucey » 7 Jan 2019, 6:28pm

found these in about five minutes

Image

FWIW most bars have flat drops. If I understand it correctly, what you are after is probably better termed ' flat hooks'

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~