Old Dawes Galaxy or New Super Galaxy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Trev864

Old Dawes Galaxy or New Super Galaxy?

Post by Trev864 »

I'm riding the end to end in June this year. I already have a 2005 Dawes Galaxy. I was planning to do the end to end on this bike but it will need some money spending on it in terms of a new chainset and brakes.

I have been looking at the new Super Galaxy too as an option to replace my old Galaxy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the build quality of the new Dawes bikes compared to ones of my Galaxy's vintage?

I'm unsure as to whether I spend some money on my old bike or get a new one for the trip
the snail

Re: Old Dawes Galaxy or New Super Galaxy?

Post by the snail »

I think from a value for money perspective, fix up the old one. From a usability point of view, what do you gain from the new bike, presumably similar - more gears, disk brakes?
hamster

Post by hamster »

When you say new chainset and brakes I assume that's new chain rings, new brake pads and new cables and outers. Total cost £100. To me the decision is made!
mig

Post by mig »

hands down the one that you're accustomed to riding (as long as it fits you in the first place.)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi Trev
Sounds like your self supported? 12 days 14 days?

If you know the bike then why not use it?

I'm hopefully going in June 8 days. Dates tbc Might see you on the road?!

Full carbon Cannondale just a change of cassette to 32t and a new chain.

Cheers James
Trev864

Post by Trev864 »

Thanks for your replies.

After reading them and giving it more thought, I think the new bike will only give me disc brakes, and STI shifters (I have bar end shifters now)

I have decided now to fix up my old Galaxy.

On that note, it had Tektro Oryx brakes now. I've never been over impressed with them. Has anyone replaced them with something different?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

If you need new cantis there is much to be said for several mid-arm cantis such as

- shimano BR-CX50, BR-CX-70
- avid shorty (various models)
- Tektro CR710.

All these cantis have a fairly high MA (mechanical advantage) when set up as recommended and like many mid-arm cantis the MA can be adjusted by altering the straddle length/height.

However tektro Oryx are no exception to this too; in very many cases

- decent cables
- optimised straddle geometry (lower means more power)
- regreased pivot bushings
- better quality brake blocks

will render the brakes far more effective. Since you will need many of these items anyway (and/ or can use them as spares later on) or the cost is near-zero you might as well try these things out and see how you get on before buying new brakes.

FWIW on dawes touring bikes I have often spaced the brake blocks slightly further away from Oryx brake arms (eg using extra washers), so that the arms are spread a bit wider; this allows the straddle geometry (and the brake MA) to stay better for longer as the brake blocks wear.

Tektro Oryx have integral pivot bushings that (without too much effort) can be disassembled, cleaned and greased; after a few years they are commonly bone dry and draggy/bindy; once in this state they really benefit from this treatment. You can lube the bushings from the outside but by and large anything that is thin enough to penetrate isn't thick enough to stay put or lubricate properly either, so regreasing is best.

Tektro CR710 have a barrel adjuster on the straddle, so that the straddle geometry can stay more nearly optimised as the brake blocks wear.

In general you don't get owt for nowt; increased MA usually means reduced running clearance too. For laden touring you can choose even higher MA brakes eg pauls or Velo orange cantis (again MA is adjustable via straddle height) or Mini-Vs (which don't suit older STIs/brake levers and don't have adjustable MA either).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Generally trading an older trusted steed (that you have "broken in" and altered to a perfect fit) for a new steed just before a long trip is not a good idea
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cunobelin wrote:Generally trading an older trusted steed (that you have "broken in" and altered to a perfect fit) for a new steed just before a long trip is not a good idea

+1

Never assume that a younger bike with the same name will have the same geometry. For many years the Galaxy was a mainstream, horizontal top tube, Reynolds tubed bike that only varied in its paintjob.
From what at I have seen of recent Dawes bikes they are quite different beasts.
A couple of extra gears are academic if it doesn't prove as comfortable as your 'old faithful'.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Trev864 wrote:Thanks for your replies.

After reading them and giving it more thought, I think the new bike will only give me disc brakes, and STI shifters (I have bar end shifters now)

I have decided now to fix up my old Galaxy.

On that note, it had Tektro Oryx brakes now. I've never been over impressed with them. Has anyone replaced them with something different?

Fulls sized V brakes and Tektro RL520 levers will give you plenty of stopping power.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Trev864

Post by Trev864 »

Thanks again for all the advice, I will definitely be sticking with my trusty old Galaxy. I will try the recommended actions on the brakes (thanks Brucey).
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Nice one Trev. Now your old Galaxy will be your new super Galaxy.

I banned myself from buying new bikes 20 years ago in an attempt to help the planet a bit. I can confirm that it's just as much fun refurbishing the bikes that I had and the 2nd hand ones I've subsequently acquired for me or my misssus. They all ride luvly ( that's Welsh for very well) and do the job I've fettled them for.

(Report back on the brakes when you've fully tested)
old fangled
Trev864

Post by Trev864 »

Thanks

I will report back on the brakes

Cheers for all of your advice
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

A while back I asked if the latest Galaxy models were as good as the older ones. I was told that they weren't a patch on the traditional Galaxy and was given some alternative suggestions.

So your choice of a new Super Galaxy might not be the best option for a new bike anyway.

Refurbishment (as already decided) does seem the better option.

I will have a clearer view once I finish the refurbishment of my very old Galaxy (age unknown) and compare it with my brand new Spa Wayfarer which was one of the top suggestions on here.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hope it isn't too much of a thread hijack...
My freinds got some money to replace a stolen from (South Leeds btw) Dawes audax 631 and has the same dilemma.

How do these new frames ride compared to the old ones.
For simplicity sake a modern genesis equilibrium or similar Vs a classic 531 road bike and a tig welded steel tourer Vs an old galaxy / randoneer?

Any thoughts?

Cheers James