Shiny silver rear touring hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PH

Shiny silver rear touring hub

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2019, 5:37pm

Will be building a rear wheel sometime soon and looking for a 135 OLN hub for a non disc Shimano 9 spd wheel, preferably 36h.
All the other components are shiny silver, the current rear hub is a matt silver XT that lets the look down a bit. I've seen some Shimano LX hubs described as silver, but those I've seen are more gunmetal grey, are they all? What else is there? This is the closest I have to a fine weather bike and the least used so longevity can move down the list of criteria though it's still a consideration.

alexnharvey

Re: Shiny silver rear touring hub

Postby alexnharvey » 8 Jan 2019, 6:19pm

You could get the xt hub you have or another of the same model polished, look for an older Shimano LX, xt or xtr, or maybe swap the axle on a 130mm silver hub.

This is how the dull silver xt hub could look when polished (although this is a disc hub)

https://www.velosolo.co.uk/756rear.html
Last edited by alexnharvey on 8 Jan 2019, 6:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowster

Postby slowster » 8 Jan 2019, 6:24pm

The obvious cadidates are all high end hubs with a price tag to match (although that might not bother you, especially if it's a 'dream build'):

Hope RS4 https://www.hopetech.com/product/rs4-road-rear-hub/. They come in both 130mm and 135mm, so make sure you order the right one, e.g. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-cassette-rear/hope-rs4-rear-cassette-hub-135-mm-shimano-91011-speed-silver-28h/. I think this hub is supposed to be quieter than Hope's MTB hubs.

Royce. If you must have 36h, then that limits the choice to the somewhat heavy but reportedly very strong Titan Venus. Otherwise an Ultralight 32h hub.

Phil Wood

I don't think any of the above come with skewers. If, like me, you prefer enclosed cam skewers, then you might find the only choice is Shimano's matt or grey finish versions, which will not really match the above hubs. Royce make their own Talent skewer which is an enclosed cam design and polished metal, but with a price tag to match their hubs.

PS You have my sympathies in your search. I am going through a similar experience looking for exactly the same as you apart from the fact that I need a disc hub version.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 8 Jan 2019, 6:40pm

slowster wrote:
PS You have my sympathies in your search. I am going through a similar experience looking for exactly the same as you apart from the fact that I need a disc hub version.

See the edit to my post above yours which might help if you need a six bolt hub.

slowster

Postby slowster » 8 Jan 2019, 6:58pm

alexnharvey wrote:See the edit to my post above yours which might help if you need a six bolt hub.

Thank you for that. I had already seen the hub on Velo Solo's website, but as they state it was a one off and they are not offering the service generally. However, it prompted me to look then at Freshtripe's website, for whom they produced that hub, and I found these:

For the OP - http://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-grand-cru-touring-hub-135mm/

For me -http://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-grand-cru-disc-touring-hub-135mm/

Unfortunately they are only polished, not anodised, although that may not matter to the OP given that it's for a fine weather bike.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 8 Jan 2019, 7:18pm

My mistake, I thought they still had some polished ones.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 8 Jan 2019, 7:40pm

Can you get a regular hub and de-anodise it, then polish it?

PH

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2019, 7:46pm

Thanks, that's now on the list, though I think I recall some discussion on the flange widths being an issue, but can't remember the detail or find the thread, it may not have been on this forum.
Price wasn't really a consideration till I looked up the cost of Royce hubs :shock:
Looking for that I came across some NOS shiny silver XT hubs, but only in 32h, though for this bike that's probably OK. I don't have anything against cartridge bearings, the Campag ones I've had were fine, but all else being equal I'd prefer cup and cone.
Unfortunately they are only polished, not anodised, although that may not matter to the OP given that it's for a fine weather bike

I like polished, both for the finish and the therapeutic polishing, it'd add to my polished Rohloff and 2 x SON hubs :)

PH

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2019, 7:48pm

fastpedaller wrote:Can you get a regular hub and de-anodise it, then polish it?

I wouldn't know how to go about that, but I might look into it. I don't know what the finish is on the current XT hub, it's deliberately rather than accidentally matt.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 8 Jan 2019, 7:55pm

spa cycles have various silver-anodised (I think rather than polished) hubs, eg Novatec. but I'm not sure they are 135mm OLN. I think they exist though.

FWIW if you have a lathe (or you are prepared to mount the rear hub in a frame with some sprockets and a chain that you don't mind showering in debris) you can spin the hubshell up and polish it whether it is anodised or painted (which a lot of current shimano hubs are).

If you come up empty I might have something that would suit you; PM me if you exhaust other lines of enquiry.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

zenitb

I recommend the Shimano Deore FH-T610

Postby zenitb » 8 Jan 2019, 10:17pm

Shimano have two shades of silver for their hubs. One is the "gunmetal grey" that you describe and the other is a conventional anodised silver colour. It is impossible to tell between the two in photos I find. I think the "Deore LX" hub that you have seen is the Deore LX FH-T670 hub. I got this hub cheap but like you I was disappointed in the gunmetal sheen, particularly since I already had the cheaper Deore FH-T610 hub which is the conventional shiny silver variety. I even have an older version of the Deore LX hub (FH-T660) which is shiny and bright as well so I think they changed the T670 hubs to look more "classy" or something.

I have just raided my "hub stash" to try and illustrate what I mean - see photo. The more upmarket 105 hub in the middle has a slight greyish tint wheras the OLD Deore LX (FH-T660) above it and the current Deore (HB-T610) hub below it are shinier. In the photo they look the same of course!!

My advice is to get the Deore FH-T610 - mine are nice and shiny. All the documentation I have seen indicates indicates the internals are identical to the Deore LX hub (same "Low-friction Cubic-Boron Nitride treatment cone race surfaces" for example) and the seals on my pair look the same as my T660/T670 hubs as well. Just make sure you order the silver and not the black one (oh and check the holes obviously... you can get 32 or 36).. £25 ought to do it ... :-)
Image Attachments
20190108_215902.jpg

slowster

Re: I recommend the Shimano Deore FH-T610

Postby slowster » 8 Jan 2019, 10:43pm

zenitb wrote:Shimano have two shades of silver for their hubs. One is the "gunmetal grey" that you describe and the other is a conventional anodised silver colour. It is impossible to tell between the two in photos I find. I think the "Deore LX" hub that you have seen is the Deore LX FH-T670 hub. I got this hub cheap but like you I was disappointed in the gunmetal sheen, particularly since I already had the cheaper Deore FH-T610 hub which is the conventional shiny silver variety. I even have an older version of the Deore LX hub (FH-T660) which is shiny and bright as well so I think they changed the T670 hubs to look more "classy" or something.

I have just raided my "hub stash" to try and illustrate what I mean - see photo. The more upmarket 105 hub in the middle has a slight greyish tint wheras the OLD Deore LX (FH-T660) above it and the current Deore (HB-T610) hub below it are shinier. In the photo they look the same of course!!

My advice is to get the Deore FH-T610 - mine are nice and shiny. All the documentation I have seen indicates indicates the internals are identical to the Deore LX hub (same "Low-friction Cubic-Boron Nitride treatment cone race surfaces" for example) and the seals on my pair look the same as my T660/T670 hubs as well. Just make sure you order the silver and not the black one (oh and check the holes obviously... you can get 32 or 36).. £25 ought to do it ... :-)

Thank you for posting that. For some reason I had thought that the seals fitted to the LX T660 were better than those on the Deore T610, but the component parts links provided by Brucey in this thread viewtopic.php?t=119720#p1201155, shows they use the same seals. In contrast the XT 756 hub is described as having 'double contact seals'.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 8 Jan 2019, 11:16pm

I had an anodised windscreen frame I wanted to polish many years ago, and found the anodising was very difficult to get off by mechanical means ie emery cloth. When I took it to the anodising works they just dipped it in a tank (may have connected it to a wire as well, I'm unsure) and the guy took me on a guided tour for ten minutes and when we got back to it there was nothing left :oops: ..... No, only joking! There was a 'bare' aluminium item that I could then polish to my heart's content with wet/dry, brasso etc. It may be that some chemical can be put on a rag and wrapped around the hub to get the anodising off without immersing everything in a tank? Got me puzzled now, I may investigate.... although I've become a fan of anodising over the years, it does save a lot of polishing

hamster

Postby hamster » 9 Jan 2019, 8:43am

One other tought is to look for a 'new old stock' Shimano M737 XT hub.
In my view it was the finest hub they ever made - beautifully finished, light but still with the steel axle and larger bearings. A fair few come up on eBay and Retrobike, expecially as most people want 32H.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 9 Jan 2019, 9:11am

there are various ways of stripping anodising, many of which are discussed here;
https://www.finishing.com/20/76.shtml

However many of these methods will also affect steel parts too, so immersion of a hubshell risks that the bearing inserts etc are damaged. In cartridge bearing hubs, if you strip the anodising from the bearing seats (or immerse a hubshell with machined bearing seats in a corrosive solution) then the tolerances of the bearing seats will probably be lost and bearings that ought to be a press fit in the hubshell become a loose fit instead.

Anodising varies considerably according to the acid solution that was used to make it originally, the processing time, and the underlying aluminium. Hence there are wildly differing reports of the efficiency of using (say) oven cleaner ( which is usually a strong caustic) on anodised parts.

As I mentioned upthread spinning the hubshell up in a lathe or something offers an easy route to polishing hubshells and there is little risk that you will damage anything else in the process, provided you are happy to clean the parts thoroughly after they have been polished. In many cases hubshells can be polished by using a long M10 bolt as an arbor in a (vice mounted) electric drill.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~