Cambium saddle cracks

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Samuel D

Re: Brooks Cambium saddles, is there a weight limit?

Post by Samuel D »

I would just about consider a leather saddle, but most of them are, as slowster notes, expensive. They’re also not a great choice for riding without mudguards, which I do a lot.

Think I’ll try one of the saddles Brucey mentioned first in case they work for me. Otherwise I may look into the impenetrable ranges made by Specialized, Fizik, etc. Problem is they’re almost all ugly and pricey to boot. So … fingers crossed.
alexnharvey

Cambium saddle cracks

Post by alexnharvey »

I've been disappointed to find my c15 saddle has cracked at the nose. It seems to be fairly common out at least not rare, with at least one other report from a member here.

I bought mine used as a trial so can't really have much complaint. I was a bit surprised to find that Brooks only offer a two year warranty which you can extend to ten years by registration.
I would've thought the expected life of a £95 and up saddle was more like ten years and that this cracking indicates a manufacturing or design problem which they'd look to rectify. Isn't part of the point of the cambium that it's more robust than their leather saddles?

I'm curious as to whether many others have had or seen cracked cambiums and if anyone knows any more about the cracking issue and how widespread it is. Is it an issue with certain batches that is now rectified? I certainly don't think I would buy another at this point.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a spa saddle which I got for Christmas so early days.
Maximum milage has been 30miles at a time.
So far I have found it quite comfortable.
Hoping to break it in by the summer!
Looks a bit funny on a carbon bike but who cares!
Leather is thick approx 5mm so will take a while to soften up. But should last a long time.
I like turbo and rolls cannot get on with flite or spoon saddles any more - too narrow.

Cheers James
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jamesh wrote:I have a spa saddle which I got for Christmas so early days.
Leather is thick approx 5mm so will take a while to soften up. But should last a long time.
I like turbo and rolls cannot get on with flite or spoon saddles any more - too narrow.

Cheers James

I once had a conversation with a bloke who had a Brooks B17 Narrow on his jet black carbon road bike, and I commented that it was an unusual combination. And it did look a little peculiar. But he just said it suited his bum so that was all there was to it. Quite right too.
Last edited by pwa on 10 Jan 2019, 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

pwa wrote:
Jamesh wrote:I have a spa saddle which I got for Christmas so early days.

Cheers James

I once had a conversation with a bloke who had a Brooks B17 Narrow in his jet black carbon road bike, and I commented that it was an unusual combination. And it did look a little peculiar. But he just said it suited his bum so that was all there was to it. Quite right too.

I know at least two such blokes!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Function over form.
dickcoe

Re: Cambium saddle cracks

Post by dickcoe »

I have absolutely no issues with these saddles having bought them NEW the ten year guarantee cannot be bettered most other manufactures only offer 1to 3 years
dickcoe

Post by dickcoe »

Can't fault these saddles I have three all perfect if you purchase these from new where else can you get a 10 year guarantee.
Looking at bruceys bike in the picture it has clearly had a lot of abuse
Ps what's the chain doing?
pwa

Post by pwa »

dickcoe wrote:I have absolutely no issues with these saddles having bought them NEW the ten year guarantee cannot be bettered most other manufactures only offer 1to 3 years

I've had one for a couple of years and it is fine so far, but if the vulcanised rubber on these things lasts 10 years I will be surprised. Vulcanised rubber has a way of becoming less elastic and more brittle over time. It seems to degrade.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

'my photo' was just a random one off t'interweb. FWIW of those I know of personally, I have not seen one that didn't either actually break or wasn't well on the way to breaking, given fairly normal use. Time to failure/obvious damage seems to vary from about a year of intensive/heavy use to three years of less intensive use. Maybe this is no big deal if Brooks treat customers with such failures in the right way; after all it is not as if there are many alternative saddles that work the same way.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Why don't Brooks just have spare tops for these saddles for sale on their website? Like Gilles Berthoud do. The things disassemble so remaking one should be a half hour job with a cup of coffee. Top supplied FOC if under warranty.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

The fact that older brooks leather saddles that I inherited from my grandfather are still going strong make these seem like a pretty poor choice. Part of the value proposition is that even though the leather saddles are expensive, you can resell them at a decent price. Who would buy a used cambium that might last two years if you're lucky.

I emailed brooks about buying a replacement top a few days ago. No response.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

A quick update. phoned Brooks to see what they said. They suggested I send it back for them to inspect which I did earlier this week and I have now received a new rubber top on the original saddle frame. It seems a bit different to the original, with a grey colour to the rubber underneath.

I am very impressed with Brooks' response to the issue.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

alexnharvey wrote:I've been disappointed to find my c15 saddle has cracked at the nose. It seems to be fairly common out at least not rare, with at least one other report from a member here.

I bought mine used as a trial so can't really have much complaint. I was a bit surprised to find that Brooks only offer a two year warranty which you can extend to ten years by registration.
I would've thought the expected life of a £95 and up saddle was more like ten years and that this cracking indicates a manufacturing or design problem which they'd look to rectify. Isn't part of the point of the cambium that it's more robust than their leather saddles?

I'm curious as to whether many others have had or seen cracked cambiums and if anyone knows any more about the cracking issue and how widespread it is. Is it an issue with certain batches that is now rectified? I certainly don't think I would buy another at this point.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 has largely been superseded by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, and I do not know much about the terms of that Act. However, the courts had previously held that six years (five years in Scotland) was a 'reasonable' time frame during which you could expect goods to continue to function. Of course, this is dependent on the goods. Complain about a Bic pen that doesn't work after five and a half years, and you might be out of luck. A television, washing machine, computer etc. is a different matter. I don't know where a relatively expensive saddle would come into the equation.

Also, there may be an issue with having to demonstrate that there is a design flaw or a fault when you obtained the saddle. I do not practice commercial or consumer law, so have little experience of that, other than what we study at university.

I obtained a repair of a telephone a few years ago, when the wireless function ceased to work just under two years from when I bought it. The operator - of course! - tried to tell me that my dispute was with the manufacturer. This is not the case. They resisted for about two months, until I issued the small claims summons. They called me within the hour, and offered to have my phone repaired at their expense.

YMMV, as ever.

Whether you want to battle it, is entirely your call. FWIW, however, I have the C13 on all four of my bikes, and love them to bits.

Good luck.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

alexnharvey wrote:A quick update. phoned Brooks to see what they said. They suggested I send it back for them to inspect which I did earlier this week and I have now received a new rubber top on the original saddle frame. It seems a bit different to the original, with a grey colour to the rubber underneath.

I am very impressed with Brooks' response to the issue.

I should have read this before posting. Duh!
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit