Advice for 26" Day Touring/Semi-slick Tyre ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Advice for 26" Day Touring/Semi-slick Tyre ?

Post by reohn2 »

Worth remembering that Schwalbe tyres measure up small on most rims usually a 40mm tyre will measure less than 37mm
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

From personal experience (riding my 26"-wheeled commuter for 18 years):

Conti Sport contact, available in 1.3" and 1.6" widths. Have found them to be fast-rolling with good puncture resistance. 1.3" is wide enough for rough roads and ride comfort. I run mine at 60-65psi for comfort.

Also like Panaracer Paselas but get the PT (Protite) version for puncture resistance. The 1.5" is relatively wide (perhaps close to actual size) but the 1.25" is quite narrow (less than nominal width I found). More tread than Sport contact so better for slippery roads and tracks, probably slower rolling than the Conti.

Tried Panaracer RibMo but found them really slow and draggy.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

reohn2 wrote:Worth remembering that Schwalbe tyres measure up small on most rims usually a 40mm tyre will measure less than 37mm

hmm .. that could almost do it ... maybe I could order the rear one first .. there is more clearance at the back .. but try it for size on the front..
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

bgnukem wrote:From personal experience (riding my 26"-wheeled commuter for 18 years):

Conti Sport contact, available in 1.3" and 1.6" widths. Have found them to be fast-rolling with good puncture resistance. 1.3" is wide enough for rough roads and ride comfort. I run mine at 60-65psi for comfort.

Also like Panaracer Paselas but get the PT (Protite) version for puncture resistance. The 1.5" is relatively wide (perhaps close to actual size) but the 1.25" is quite narrow (less than nominal width I found). More tread than Sport contact so better for slippery roads and tracks, probably slower rolling than the Conti.

Tried Panaracer RibMo but found them really slow and draggy.

The Sport Contact is on Brucey's SJSC list, I am reassured by your comment on puncture resistance BG. Interesting feedback on the RibMo as well...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Perhaps also keep so air in the tyres too.
Sorry but those delamination's are classic of riding under inflated / leaving bike with little air, parked up, I might be wrong.

That kind of failure is also seen with UV degradation/other weathering too.

BTW re conti sport contact II tyres; PX have them in 42-559 (wired type) for the bargainmungous price of £8 a go at present. :shock: :shock:

In 37-622 form this tyre tested fifth fastest (for touring tyres) here

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/continental-sport-contact-2016

the only thing I'd knock it for is that the sidewalls seem to perish a bit too easily.

This model has been replaced by one that is virtually indistinguishable apart from the name; the new name is Continental Contact Speed

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

If you have the clearance for 40mm tyres then these (no longer in production) would be my choice.
"42"