Advice for 26" Day Touring/Semi-slick Tyre ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zenitb

Advice for 26" Day Touring/Semi-slick Tyre ?

Post by zenitb »

My wife's bike is a 1995 Orbit Gold Medal, in a 26" wheel (559 ETRTO) format.
(The bike if from the Simon Gershon Orbit era in classic colours with 531 ST tubing and scaled down geometry, 165mm cranks etc)

The original 32mm wide tyres ("Mitusuboshi Hilltop Slick", 559-32) have had their day with the carcass delaminating (see photos).

I would really value any recommendations for replacements. It's only ever going to be used for day tours (not camping - we have the tandem for this) and maybe a faster, lighter rather than a totally bombproof tyre would be best. My wife liked the smooth rolling original semi-slick tyres but they don't appear to be made any more, unsurprising I guess. We should probably stick with the 559-32 format(or maybe 559-35 at a push) and personally I think the gumwalls go with the retro look of the bike - aesthetics are not crucial though.

Anyone have any advice/experience for/of day touring/slick tyres in 26" ??
Attachments
20190112_200921.jpg
20190112_201133.jpg
20190112_200840.jpg
20190112_200716(1).jpg
Brucey

Re: Advice for 26" Day Touring/Semi-slick Tyre ?

Post by Brucey »

any of these take your fancy?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-26-559-rigid/?size=32%2D559&size=33%2D559&size=35%2D559

There are also various panaracer models, not all of which are easy to get hold of in the UK, eg

https://panaracerusa.com/product/pasela-protite-urban-touring-tire-2/.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Brucey wrote:any of these take your fancy?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-26-559-rigid/?size=32%2D559&size=33%2D559&size=35%2D559

There are also various panaracer models, not all of which are easy to get hold of in the UK, eg

https://panaracerusa.com/product/pasela-protite-urban-touring-tire-2/.

cheers

nice selection there... I have to say my heart says "Kojak" if only for the name !!! For a tenner they look great value...

Some interesting other choices though ... the Panasonic RibMo in particular ...
RickH

Post by RickH »

My friend I pilot for has 32mm Ribmos on her tandem (albeit 700c) & I can't complain about them. They seem to roll well, grip well, wear well & be pretty puncture resistant.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Perhaps also keep so air in the tyres too.
Sorry but those delamination's are classic of riding under inflated / leaving bike with little air, parked up, I might be wrong.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Perhaps also keep so air in the tyres too.
Sorry but those delamination's are classic of riding under inflated / leaving bike with little air, parked up, I might be wrong.

No you are spot on Ankling. The tandem and MTB have been used more and this great little bike has sat sadly neglected. I am rennovating it currently though so hopefully this year it will get more of the use it deserves.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

RickH wrote:My friend I pilot for has 32mm Ribmos on her tandem (albeit 700c) & I can't complain about them. They seem to roll well, grip well, wear well & be pretty puncture resistant.

Rick many thanks for responding .. useful feedback, sounds like they have all the right attributes...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:My friend I pilot for has 32mm Ribmos on her tandem (albeit 700c) & I can't complain about them. They seem to roll well, grip well, wear well & be pretty puncture resistant.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Marathon Supremes are a good touring tyre. Virtually slick. Spa are doing them for £35 each. Not cheap but will last.

I've ridden thou's of kms touring on them with no problems or punctures - although have just had 2 punctures on Southend seafront cycle path.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Unfortunately the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres are no longer available new in 32-559 size that OP is looking for although you may be able to find NOS or SH. They are good tyres so why Schwalbe discontinued some narrower sizes is odd but presumably they weren't selling enough of them.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

simonhill wrote:Marathon Supremes are a good touring tyre. Virtually slick. Spa are doing them for £35 each. Not cheap but will last.

I've ridden thou's of kms touring on them with no problems or punctures - although have just had 2 punctures on Southend seafront cycle path.

Sounds interesting..I was looking at the standard Marathon (Greenguard) since it turns out to have surprisingly low rolling resistance so will have to check out the Matathon Supreme as well. Is it easy to get on and off the rim Simon?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

rotavator wrote:Unfortunately the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres are no longer available new in 32-559 size that OP is looking for although you may be able to find NOS or SH. They are good tyres so why Schwalbe discontinued some narrower sizes is odd but presumably they weren't selling enough of them.

Thanks for that rotavator...maybe thats why I didnt see them. 559-32 does séem a bit niche which is why I asked for help...I will check for NOS though, as you suggest.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Supremes are a folding tyre and seem fairly easy to get back on the rims.

I didn't realise you wanted 32. Mine are 1.6s (40), so may be too big.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I like the Supremes as well. Pity about the sizing problem.

Mike
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Mike_Ayling wrote:I like the Supremes as well. Pity about the sizing problem.

Mike

Simon/Mike I think the 531 fork crown/mudguard area is the main constraint. The current 32mm tyres have some spare space though....I will get the tape measure out and check !!!