Don't do this! Modified by a 'nervous' person.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Don't do this! Modified by a 'nervous' person.

Post by fastpedaller »

Having looked for over a year to buy a Rudge Bi Frame (montague patent) folding MTB, I eventually got one, and a second one turned up (via a friend) a short while after - Just like buses these things :lol: :lol:
The point of this post, however, is to show the sort of 'modification' that an uninformed person may carry out, and which could result in serious injury.
It appears the bike hasn't had a great deal of use, and that is possibly fortunate - If you look at the attached photos they show the previous owner drilled and tapped the seatpost (presumably so his desired saddle height was easily reproduced). Not only did it cause a huge stress-raiser, but it was also in the worst possible place for the stresses involved, what with being in the front of the seatpin, and (inevitably) at the exact height it emerges from the seat tube. Ironically the previous owner has always been a very nervous and safety-conscious individual (sometimes to the point of being irrational)
I'd advise anyone wishing to frequently remove their seatpin, but return it to correct height to either mark it with paint, put tape around it, or (as long as they don't damage the surface) use another seat clamp or jubilee clip as an indicator/stop. I've bought a new seatpin, and put the old one in the scrap - I may even saw it in half just to prevent someone somehow retrieving it and 'recycling' it.
Attachments
DSCF8799.JPG
DSCF8800.JPG
Spinners

Re: Don't do this! Modified by a 'nervous' person.

Post by Spinners »

I think we can guarantee he wasn't a weight weeny :D
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I would imagine it's there because the seatpost was a bit under-sized for the frame, and kept slipping down.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

^ that'd be my guess, too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

No, not at all - a perfect fit just like the latest one I've bought. He has probably never been over 75kg (used to run marathons)
Syd

Post by Syd »

75kg? Fat git :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

You can see by the witness marks that it is a close fit. To get the new one in (same 26.0mm) I cleaned the inside of the tube ( with a solvented rag on a stick), inspected with a torch, and greased both the seatpin and the tube - it is a close fit, with no 'wobble' - ie there is some resistance to movement in rotational as well as insertion. It certainly won't drop. I add that the inside of the tube is parallel, that is to confirm it's not a case of a small seatpin having been inserted and the ears at the top being compressed. I can only summise the reason for the allen screw was solely to determine position.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I might feel inclined to check he hasn't done something similar with the bars too. :roll:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

No - bars are fine. In fact apart from being in immediate need of some pumping of the grease gun into the concentric/rotating seat tube, and cable lubrication the bike was ready to ride. Oh, and a flat front tyre his Grandson described as a puncture, but it has stayed inflated for over 2 weeks, so I guess he didn't want to ride it :lol:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Syd wrote:75kg? Fat git :D

In that case you're calling me a very fat git, 'cos I'm 82kg :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

fastpedaller wrote:
Syd wrote:75kg? Fat git :D

In that case you're calling me a very fat git, 'cos I'm 82kg :wink:

[off topic]I heard this week of a hospital EPR (electronic patient record) system which calculated a patients BMI as 276,816 which is seriously overweight! :?

The staff member had entered the patient height as 1.7(metres) and the software, which was expecting an input in cm, wasn’t programmed to catch the error.

Correct answer should have been 27.7. [/off topic]