Islabikes new bikes for the elderly

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
zenitb

Re: Islabikes new bikes for the elderly

Post by zenitb »

iandusud wrote:I'm not convinced about the 1X transmissions. I would rather see a double chainset. This allows for closer ratios and less chance of the chain coming off at the front.

Ian I have a 1x SRAM GX groupset (on my MTB) and the chain has NEVER come off - and this includes two full days at Bike Park Wales doing all the blue and reds - way beyond what Joni and Jimi are going to be subjected to. Its a combination of the clutch mech at the back and the wide/narrow chainring on the front - this groupset is designed for the job rather than the old 1x lashups of old. The larger cable ratio makes for very solid gearchanges as well with no front mech faffing around and less fiddly adjustment at the rear.

I actually think this gearing setup is perfect for a bike like this, particularly since some of the target market might never have ridden with a front mech, dont want to learn how and don't need to ever do so now :-)

For the target market price is not an issue either .. bear in mind these are aimed at baby boomers with defined benefit pensions !!!

But why is Joni cheaper than Jimi ? I've always thought she's way classier bless her !!!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

peterb

Post by peterb »

When does one become officially 'elderly'? Can't help but feel a little bit patronised by initiatives like this. In my 74th year, hip replaced, vascular disease, I'll be sticking with my road bikes - admittedly with a little bit of e-assistance nowadays due to my compromised leg muscles. But I live in hope that one day I'll be back on the unassisted ones! Maybe.
Anyway good luck to them if it gets more people on bikes.
Last edited by peterb on 8 Mar 2022, 8:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomm

Post by nomm »

Myself and siblings bought a (shop soiled) Janis for my mum of 70. I am still waiting to find this soiling, they speak of.

She is a regular rider and wasn't ready for a ebike.

I have to say the Janis is a fantastic bike. It's really light, quality kit for the type of riding and is very well thought out. It has given my mum a renewed buzz for cycling again. She keeps bragging that she is yet to use the lowest gear around the Bristol area.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Mar 2022, 5:34pm And now for people with disproportionate dwarfism:
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/collections ... e-dwarfism
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... h-dwarfism

Jonathan
See also Will’s 853 Bristol Flyer here:

http://www.beaumontbicycle.com/

May be slightly pricier, but way cooler :D
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

It does make me wonder if there's not a business opportunity for frame builders to offer a 'step through' or dropped cross bar conversion (where the cross bar is removed and an x bar similar to the old raleigh design is inserted) for your current bike(s).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cycle tramp wrote: 8 Mar 2022, 9:02pm It does make me wonder if there's not a business opportunity for frame builders to offer a 'step through' or dropped cross bar conversion (where the cross bar is removed and an x bar similar to the old raleigh design is inserted) for your current bike(s).
Certainly the bespoke builder I linked has very much carved herself a niche in that area - as you can see from her builds.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Surely many "elderly" cyclists would avoid like the plague a bike specifically targeted at the elderly.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Some, maybe, but cyclists gonna cycle, and if that keeps them cycling for longer, then maybe there's a ready market?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Old thread resurrection alert!

I noticed recently that Islabikes has reduced the price of the Janis (non-E version) to just £499.99, which seems like phenomenally good value if it suits your needs.
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/ja ... -road-bike
I see also that they've removed any reference for these bikes being specifically for elderly, or even older, people - they're now just "adult" bikes. Though all the promo photos show - er - mature adults.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

And a number of other significant discounts also.