Rear light to clip to saddle bag?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Rear light to clip to saddle bag?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I have a Carradice saddle bag with a horizontal strap at the back which looks as though it would take a clip on rear light.

I don't currently have such a light and am looking for recommendations.

So far I have found:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-Belt-Cycling-Lights-Reflectors/dp/B000AR6FW0
as a clip, and I think
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CatEye-CA475RAPMIN-Lights-Reflectors-Cycling/dp/B01I4193PY/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp?th=1
as a possible light to match the clip.

However I would like some other options to consider.

As a side note I would have expected lights with a bigger reflector to be available for saddle bags as the bigger the reflector the more efficient the light delivery (within reason, I think) and there is no aero gain from having a slim light on the back of the saddle bag.
LollyKat

Re: Rear light to clip to saddle bag?

Post by LollyKat »

I use a Smart RL317R-0.5W-01 317 - the belt clip is an integral part of the body. To make sure it doesn't jump off I put a band cut from an old inner tube round the bottom of the light and the clip. However, depending on your saddle bag and its mount the 'angle of dangle' may not be very good.

Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I attach a small nut and bolt to the bottom of the Cateye clip after drilling a hole in it. The clip is made of good quality plastic - ie it's a bit more yielding than the brittle stuff of cheaper products. The bolt end holds the clip in place on the tab at the back of the saddlebag. It does involve some fiddling to release the clip after a cycle but worth the effort to stop it flying off mid-ride.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Something semi-omnidirectional to cope with the mounting uncertainty of a soft bike (compared to a rigid fixing to bike):

eg a Diffused COB light like AAA Moon Pulsor? (10cd in low mode over wide area). Seems pretty even brightness over that large area.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
PH

Post by PH »

LollyKat wrote: depending on your saddle bag and its mount the 'angle of dangle' may not be very good.

This - also the direction of the light will depend on how full/empty the bag is.
Also - The linked Cateye Rapid is a very bright light to mount that high, inappropriate for group riding and pretty anti social in other circumstances.

On My Carradice I have fibre optic strip light (sold as an ankle band) zip tied to that loop, it hangs down whatever the angle, a useful area of light with no dazzle, though I wouldn't rely on it as a main light.
I ought to take a photo in the dark, it's more impressive than it looks in daylight.
Attachments
P1090656.JPG
john4703

Post by john4703 »

Eyebrox wrote:I attach a small nut and bolt to the bottom of the Cateye clip after drilling a hole in it. The clip is made of good quality plastic - ie it's a bit more yielding than the brittle stuff of cheaper products. The bolt end holds the clip in place on the tab at the back of the saddlebag. It does involve some fiddling to release the clip after a cycle but worth the effort to stop it flying off mid-ride.

I've used a cable tie rather than a nut and bolt but the same result. The light slides off the clip which is permanently in place.
Last edited by john4703 on 29 Jan 2019, 7:12pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't let them win but keep up the struggle and wear them all down by our persistence.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

My Cateye rear light came with both a seat post attachment and bag clip, so I assume they all do. Topeak do a small light with a seatbag clip also.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi
My Arthur Daley solution was to cut a couple of inch off the Mrs brown handle (she's 5' nothing so wouldn't miss it!) And then wrap the seat post mount round that fixed to the horizontal webbing. Crude but effective.
Turned the light 90° but with a saddle bag it doesn't matter.
The bag needs to be full to hold its position but that isn't an issue for me!!
Not ideal for constant night riding but as a dusk warning light whist on tour its adequate.
Cheers James
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

To clarify, the bag sits on top of the carrier so I should really have said "carrier top bag".

This negates some of the issues about a floppy back end. :shock:

I did order the light, so was a bit concerned to note the comment about it being too bright, however it will sit above the carrier mounted rear light by "not very much" and will mainly be a back up light for unusual circumstances.

The touring bike has a dynamo front hub and a capacitor in the lights, so should have a rear light most of the time both moving and stationary.

The road configured mountain bike has a permanently fixed rear carrier light (battery) so again the bag one would be mainly a backup light source. I noted that the bag obscured my usual backup light which is fitted to the saddle post.

The search was prompted because I had a sensible looking rear light fitting on the bag, but no light to fix to it.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:
LollyKat wrote: depending on your saddle bag and its mount the 'angle of dangle' may not be very good.

This - also the direction of the light will depend on how full/empty the bag is.
Also - The linked Cateye Rapid is a very bright light to mount that high, inappropriate for group riding and pretty anti social in other circumstances.

On My Carradice I have fibre optic strip light (sold as an ankle band) zip tied to that loop, it hangs down whatever the angle, a useful area of light with no dazzle, though I wouldn't rely on it as a main light.
I ought to take a photo in the dark, it's more impressive than it looks in daylight.

Noting that the Cateye light has several brightness settings, including "Group Ride" which is pleasingly gentle compared to the full brightness.

Even smaller than I expected, but seems to be a nice bit of kit as long as you are set up for USB charging.
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I should imagine almost any light will have some sort of mount for attaching to a saddle bag loop.

I bought a set of see.sense 'Ace' lights at the NEC last year and they have a bunch of mounts including one for a saddle bag loop, and are without a doubt the best set of tracer lights I've ever used.

They are actually available on Amazon cheaper than from see.sense themselves for some reason - https://amzn.to/2sZtNO7
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk