BB30 bottom bracket observations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
K1566

BB30 bottom bracket observations

Post by K1566 »

Just wondering what other people’s experience of BB30 bottom brackets has been.
I ask as I bought a preowned cyclocross bike which had little use.I used it for a dry Paris Roubaix sportive and it’s not had hardly any other use since as I ride other bikes.
When doing some general maintenance the other day I noticed the crank bearings felt rough when turning the crank.
I’ve stripped it out and found the bearings were rusty. I’ll need to replace the BB30 bottom bracket.
Considering what little use the bike had had I thought that was a bit naff really as otherwise the bike is good.
What struck me was that compared to a quality screw in sealed bottom bracket these Press fit BB30 things are a cheap inherently flawed system that allows easy ingress of water .
I think basically they are designed to reduce manufacturing costs,despite the marketing blurb about them being x% stiffer than other style bottom brackets.Which is irrelevant to the average Joe cyclist who isn’t twisting his/her frame when sprinting with thighs like an ox.
brumster

Re: BB30 bottom bracket observations

Post by brumster »

If used for cross the previous owner may have jetwashed the bike? or been over enthusiastic spraying cleaning agents or WD40 around the bearing area which would remove probably get past the seals on the BB30 bearings and break down the grease.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

some BB30 frames have a hole in the downtube or the BB shell which lets crud straight into the place where the bearings sit. They need regular maintenance really, but the PO could have done anything to them. A few muddy outings and a few washes with the right (wrong) kind of cleaning agents will see off bearings which are not well sealed and not well lubricated.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1566

Post by K1566 »

Think I might put some silicon around the seal when I fit the new one
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Manufacturing costs are, I would think, considerably higher for BB30 than traditional threaded bottom brackets. Hence the move to PF30.

BB30 is the lightest of any system out there. That is the point of them. Not durability.

New BB30 bearings are only cheap. And more durable ceramic ones not too costly.
I should coco.
K1566

Post by K1566 »

I can only speak of the one that was fitted to my bike.This was an FSA BB30 bottom bracket. Comprising two plastic press fit shells and a plastic sleeve,two ball bearing races and an couple of plastic washers. No means of keeping wate4 out of it.
I sure there are better types available but. This particular design is poor.
I’ve replaced it like for like and I’ll replace it again when it’s knackered. Only £25 but the po8nt being it I shouldn’t have to after little use.